General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

bewildered, can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:27 PM
lovemy04

Default bewildered, can anyone help?

have a 3.9L mustang which has started squealing upon starting the engine, sounding like a belt , but once the engine warms up, the squeal goes away. i replaced the belt, idler pulley, tension pulley, water pump and alternator but still had the squeal. i took belt off and started engine to see if just maybe it was none of the remaining and it still squeals without the belt on. it has now started giving engine light and the code came up cam posistion sensor which i replaced and cleared code, now its giving same code again. can someone offer a suggestion what else i can do to find the squeal and stop my money pit from draining me??
Old 05-14-2010, 04:46 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

As far as the sensor going out I can't tell you but I know with the belt I had mine doing the same thing would not stop until I switched the belt to a Goodyear Gatorback it stopped and never came back. I got my from Advanced Auto for like 30 bucks.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:51 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

If you took all the belts OFF and the car still squealed when started cold.. geez it must be something to do with the timing chain(?) have you checked/changed the oil often? Have you gone a long time with VERY LOW oil level?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:01 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

Oh missed that part. Ya sounds like timing chain then if you have a squeal still going and your CPS is going out.