General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Welding Practice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:13 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Don't expect those welds to come out like a roll of dimes when you are done...I have heard/seen that using the flux wire can get the job done, but does not come out pretty.

Keep with it and goodluck! I love knowing that I can weld (no expert), but for the projects I would do on my car or anything else, I'm comfortable standing behind my welds.
I can make a flux core weld look damn near like a TIG, it takes practice, the right settings and you have to clean the weld really well. Keep in mind that flux core has its place. Go try and weld outdoors on a windy day with a gas MIG or TIG and tell me how it goes.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Thank you all for reading this post, your spot on analysis of my welding this far, and the otta boys! Sorry guys do to contractual obligations I am unable to bring you updates in real time, so here they are with a one day delay, NBC style.

Had this been a real [ahem] I mean one of those fake articles you are used to reading in your favorite car rags, the following shots would have ended up on the floor of the editing room, however since we answer to no sponsors... here they are.

Day two pretty much went like day one, no improvement. Though my wire feed dial goes to 10 the fun level was set to 11, (Spinal Tap style). Sparky and I were getting away with murder and then Manuel showed up and started talking about the Duty Cylce, Drag Angle, and Stickout. What the heck I thought? I just want to make sparks. Or as my 5 year old calls it, lazers!

Here's some teaser pics for you, please check out the link to Welding Day Two, for more welding pics, and to see what happened when Dusty showed up.

http://www.gregandsandy.com/302/welding2.htm

Old 06-05-2010, 10:26 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Honestly the biggest problem you have is the welder itself. Those are really junk units and it will be hard for even a good welder to lay down a decent bead, much less a novice. Just from what I see in that last pic, it looks like your wire speed is too high, heat too low and you are moving too fast.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:56 AM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

top one of the X has a somewhat decent part in it... eh just keep trying, on the inside of the cover should be a "ruff" estimate of what you should have your settings be....hopefully.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default And then I saw the light, I mean the puddle!

After taking a day off from welding, ok, so the wife made me go to the kids open house at school last night, so I couldn't weld! Day Three showed flashes of genius, my welding was improving. The new "hand free" welding mask/helmet helps tremendously. Not only does it allow me to get way closer to the weld so that I can see the puddle, but now I can have both hands on the wheel sort of speak, ie the gun. I also found that sitting down helps, as I can rest my left elbow on my left knee for extra stability. Bottom line... get comfortable.

Starting a weld reminds me of learning how to drive a stick shift, remember first gear is the hardest, once you get past it without stalling you are scott free. Well welding in my opinion is similar, when you start a beed it takes a while for the metal piece to warm up, so tease it a little bit, stay in one place until you see the puddle form, then once you feel the "first gear engage" then start moving down the line back and forth, back and forth, if you are going left to right, pretend you are writing a backward letter "C".

( listen to me I've literally been welding for [ahem] hours and I'm already dishing out advice - LOL) but seriously I'm just sharing what may go through a newbies mind, or at least went through mine before I forget it

enjoy the pics and click this link for more DAY THREE photos:

http://gregandsandy.com/302/welding3.htm

Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

You are getting better, nice job. Get yourself a 4 inch angle grinder and put a wire wheel on it, it make cleaning up your welds a snap.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by JD1969

... Get yourself a 4 inch angle grinder and put a wire wheel on it, it make cleaning up your welds a snap.
You mean like this one, LOL

I got one, though I never considered putting a wire wheel on it, I'll have to try that, please see the link to my blog

http://gregandsandy.com/302/welding3.htm
Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 AM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

i actually like a hand held wire brush vs. the grinder with a wire cup on it..... call me weird but i do, i think it cleans it better.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:55 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Not a cup, a wheel. It is what we always used on the towers I used to build and it got all the slag off and most of the bb's.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

ohhh that, yes, never used em lol

Quick Reply: Welding Practice