General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 Mustang Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:57 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by papajung
Oh... Isee..
I heard somewhere that skipping gear can harm my engine in the long term so i didn't but i guess i should start doing it. Thanks and goolduck with your car
Skipping gears is only harmful if you grind them, that is skipping to a gear that is too high for the speed you are currently at.

If your syncros will let you go into that higher gear and you don't grind or you don't make the engine shudder and just about stall on you, no harm, no foul.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 09-20-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Sickness87

The 2011 mustang has the 1-4 feature. When I do shift into it. I do let the clutch spin a little because I let the rpms and tran match before the clutch is all the way out. I let the clutch out just enough to help slow the engine down. Then once it's at the correct speed. I can freely let go of the clutch. It's all done in less than a second I'd say. And I don't force my shifter into any gear. If it doesn't freely move into that gear. I know I can't move into it. The only gear that gives me some trouble is first gear when I'm getting close to a speed bump and I slow down. (I go real slow over speed bumps due to they can be hard on the suspension and other parts.) But the way around that is just put it in nuetral, rev match to about 900rpms then clutch in and it pops in to first with ease.

Last edited by Sickness87; 08-22-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:10 AM
orgchem

Just noticed this thread after posting a new one with basically the same question, minus the starting issue. I notice the RPMs fluctuate rapidly between 590 and 620 or so when at idle on my 2011 GT. I occasionally feel the car idle a little rough (with a 'bump' or 'jerk'), and since a rough idle was always a prelude to some issue with my other car, it made me a little worried.

I'm also hypersensitive now about issues with the car, given other postings on this forum. But after reading this thread, it looks like it is nothing to be concerned about.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Sickness87

Originally Posted by orgchem
Just noticed this thread after posting a new one with basically the same question, minus the starting issue. I notice the RPMs fluctuate rapidly between 590 and 620 or so when at idle on my 2011 GT. I occasionally feel the car idle a little rough (with a 'bump' or 'jerk'), and since a rough idle was always a prelude to some issue with my other car, it made me a little worried.

I'm also hypersensitive now about issues with the car, given other postings on this forum. But after reading this thread, it looks like it is nothing to be concerned about.
Yeah! I can also feel a little bump/jerk as well with my car. NOt sure if it's normal or not =P Also, my car doesn't feel like it's out putting the hp it should. Seems some what sluggish on the take off. I'll never break my tires loose with or without traction control going in a straight line. I can pretty much keep it floored and not have to worry about the tires spinning.

SO I will be getting my car dyno'd just to see if I'm getting ~365 rwhp ~335 rwtq like alot of the other people are getting.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 AM
orgchem

Originally Posted by Sickness87
Yeah! I can also feel a little bump/jerk as well with my car. NOt sure if it's normal or not =P Also, my car doesn't feel like it's out putting the hp it should. Seems some what sluggish on the take off. I'll never break my tires loose with or without traction control going in a straight line. I can pretty much keep it floored and not have to worry about the tires spinning.

SO I will be getting my car dyno'd just to see if I'm getting ~365 rwhp ~335 rwtq like alot of the other people are getting.
I have an auto and can't break tires loose in a straight line either (regardless of traction control setting). They don't even chirp. I was assuming that's normal, and that a tune would 'fix' that problem . It is certainly fast...
Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Sickness87

So I got my 11 mustang gt dyno'd and have some werid results. If anyone can think of what may be causing the issue? I did 3 pulls
Pull #1 - 306.65 WHP 303.22 WTQ
Pull #2 - 340.01 WHP 298.83 WTQ
Pull #3 - 337.54 WHP 312.77 WTQ

Those numbers flux too much. Also, during pull #1 where I got the max of 306 hp. The hp peaked out at ~4500 rpms (WEIRD?) After that, it started to drop. By 6800 RPMS where I'm supose to have my max peak at. I had around ~270hp. Very werid.

Here is a dyno link for anyone that can think of any reasons that may be causing my issue. I believe everything is related to the start of this post. Also a couple other things has come up since the start of this post.

#1 I've heard a couple knock sounds here and there
#2 On a cold start up, the left exaust pipe will some times make a little poppy sound (That started recently)
#3 Also on a cold start, it idles at ~1200 which is normal for my car for the first few seconds. After that it slow drops down to ~700rpms. Well, there has been once that happend a couple days ago. Instead of it droping, it raised to about ~1600 rpms for a few seconds then droped.

I have the ford dealer trying to find an appointment to get my car in. I'm documenting everything that happens and when I take it in to look at it. Reason: Lemon Law

http://img715.imageshack.us/i/dynopage19222010.jpg/