General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 02:34 PM
jrocc

Default K&N Air Filter

Hello, I own a 99 GT and I recently decided to purchase a K&N Air Filter.While shopping around I noticed the there were two different types, a square one, and a cone shaper one.What is the difference and which would be better to purchase first if I'm looking for small increse in horse power and engine growl.Thank you very much.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:35 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: K&N Air Filter

The square ones aren't for the mustang, the cone is. Are you going to order this online or buy it at a store?
Old 08-11-2005, 02:38 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

It's this one...click me!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:42 PM
jrocc

Ahhhh I see.I take it it wont make a difference at all w/o the whole K&N CAI system will it?
Old 08-11-2005, 02:52 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

Ummm...everyone has a different opinion on that. I have one for my V6, mainly you just get cool air sounds and maybe a little more power. If you're gonna get one you should get a cheaper one - k&n ones are expensive.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

If you add the K&N and take out your air silencer you will have almost the same equivalent of most of the CAI systems out there with the exception of the "in the fender" variety such as Densecharger. Unless you have a Cobra or other highly modified engine, the CAI will not really do all that much for you. 3 to 7 HP gain at most. Much more gains when you start with a heathier HP engine. I think Densecharger claimed they got around 25 to 30 HP out of a supercharged '03 Cobra. Much different animal than the average GT. Put in the K&N and take the silencer out. That will leave you with a chunk of change to do other mods that will bring back much stronger results, ie: GEARS! The air silencer (just in case you don't already know) is that snooty looking extension that comes off the air filter box and points into the fender well. Just disconnect the air box and you can simply pop out the silencer. If you don't like it out or experience a whine such as some have claimed, you can always easily put it back.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

it is very snooty looking. always with it's nose up in the air like it's better than the rest of us
Old 08-11-2005, 06:52 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

If you add the K&N and take out your air silencer you will have almost the same equivalent of most of the CAI systems out there with the exception of the "in the fender" variety such as Densecharger. Unless you have a Cobra or other highly modified engine, the CAI will not really do all that much for you. 3 to 7 HP gain at most. Much more gains when you start with a heathier HP engine. I think Densecharger claimed they got around 25 to 30 HP out of a supercharged '03 Cobra. Much different animal than the average GT. Put in the K&N and take the silencer out. That will leave you with a chunk of change to do other mods that will bring back much stronger results, ie: GEARS! The air silencer (just in case you don't already know) is that snooty looking extension that comes off the air filter box and points into the fender well. Just disconnect the air box and you can simply pop out the silencer. If you don't like it out or experience a whine such as some have claimed, you can always easily put it back.
i am not trying to call you a liar, but somehow i dont believe that adding a k&n air filter and takig out the air silencer is going to get you 5-8 horsepower,,
maybe im wrong, and someone with some figures can prove me wrong, but i dont think just those two things, (one being free) is gonna get you that much power
Old 08-11-2005, 08:06 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

your cai ain't getting you that much either.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

It will add some boost to your intake of air for sure. Exactly how much real power is a point of argument. I suggest the most recognizable increase in power associated with a CAI of any kind is if you do the intake "shuffle" so to speak. Change the air filter to a K&N type, remove the air silencer or add an aftermarket CAI, install a larger throttle body and larger plenum. When you are done, I guarantee you will notice a difference. They all work together very nicely to give you a better breathing engine. Any one of those changes without the other (except the plenum) will be only very slightly noticed by the driver.....if at all. Don't forget, an increase in 5 HP to the rear wheels is really pretty had to preceive. Do the SHUFFLE.....it is defintely worth it!

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter