General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

seeking help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 06:08 AM
Kwazimodo

Default seeking help/advice

Hey, new to the forums and just thought I'd post a quick opinion/questionaire. I'm looking around and saw in my area several deals for nice, well maintained 2000 mustangs (v-6) but im torn between standard and automatic. I do not know how to drive a standard but im getting mixed opinions from my friends and associates, some saying I should learn to drive standard, others saying that to be able to set the car in drive and just go is more fun. any feedback helps and thanks in advance

-Cheers
Old 08-13-2005, 06:37 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: seeking help/advice

driving a manual is more fun in my opinion but theres a chance if you would get a manual you would get tired of shifting all the time and it can be a real PITA in traffic. but ultimatley its up to you so you get what you feel is best for you. and its not hard learning to drive a stick.

EDIT- BTW welcome to the forums.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:11 AM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

if your going to get a v6 get a stick shift and just learn it.. it will take you like a hour to get the hang of it. just do like my dad did for me when i was young, go out in the country and practice your stopping, going, and shifting through gears..
Old 08-13-2005, 12:07 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

I test drove 2000 GT vert with auto and it was such a doll car, no acceleration what so ever, I couldn't feel the damn engine. (I'm coming from a crown victoria police, 4000 lbs, same 4.6L engine.) Then I test drove a 2001 GT Coupe with 5-speed, it was hard to shift a first, but the car felt good. I got the hang of it real quick and in about a week I was shifting smooth and wasn't stalling engine anymore. I got my crash course in bumper to bumper traffic, it's not hard at all. My vehicle is modified with stiffer clutch spring, so my left foot hurts after driving, but it's getting better and better, plus I can say to girls I have a stiff clutch. One thing with the stick is your driving habit changes dramatically. Right gear must be selected now, it's not available with the press of a pedal, so you keep your distance and generally obey the traffic law. If everybody had a stick there won't be any road rage.

My mom on the other hand, she drove 5-speed her entire life, and now after 8 years of auto she forgot how to. She's saying she won't be driving my car.

I would say you should get stick, but only if you like to shift the gears and if you are persistent and don't give up easily. If you had an auto and would pop it into 1st off the stop light, or into 2nd or 3rd to coast down, then you like shifting gears and you should get 5-speed.

http://www.standardshift.com/faq.html
http://www.standardshift.com/videos.html

If you still can't shift smoothly after 2 days of driving and if you still stalling after a week of driving, then you should get some lessons from a professional.

AL
Old 08-13-2005, 01:42 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

http://www.vidload.de/script/kategor...&sort=filename
Old 08-13-2005, 11:35 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

ok well get a standard they are just so much better, learning isn't hard. Just find the biggest and steapest hill you can find and just stop on it and get going again, that all there is to it. Thats the hardest part of it so when you get that you get driving a standard.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Kwazimodo

thanks guys, you've all been a super help, and am going to go with a standard. Ill look bad as I learn for a couple days, but hell, It seems like in the end its worth it from all the positive replys, thanks again all you guys for your advice, great to see friendly, helpful people

-Cheers
Old 08-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I have driven with both. I admit there are times when I drive the mustang I wish I had a stick. The only time I feel that way though is when going from a dead stop to 70 miles an hour in less than a minute. What a rush!!

My subdivision is right off a major highway and speed is a necessity if you want to get out. So 0-70 mph in 60 seconds or less is important to me. Sometimes there's a semi coming up on my tail so I need to get up to 60 mph in a hurry and an automatic sometimes takes too long.

City driving with a stick is a pain because of all the stop and go traffic. I eat a lot in my car while doing errands and dealing with a stick is no fun.