General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car Door Problem....Plz Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
hookedonkronik
2nd Gear Member

Default Car Door Problem....Plz Help

Hello all,

I own a 97 mustang. My driver's side door is sagging a bit and i've read a few places that this is common with my era mustang. Anyways, it now makes a very loud metal clunk noise when I open it.

It's been like this for a year or so now. At first I started using grease in the hinges, but the door is actually sagging.

I took it in for an oil change about 10 months ago, and asked them to not leave the door open because it sags. When I got the car back, they must have tightened something because the door was opening and closing perfectly (no noise, no sag). But after a while it started sagging and clunking again, leading me to believe whatever they tightened came loose.

-Now does anyone know if this is the bottom or top hinge that usually does this?
-What screw, etc. specifically do you think they tightened the first time at the oil change?

If anyone can help me with this I will be very grateful. It's become so annoying and I don't want to have to go through the dealership to get a new hinge....(could I get one from the wreckers?)

Also, how long would it take to remove the door and replace the hinge?

Again, tyvm.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:39 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I would go back to the oil change place and ask them what they did to fix it.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Lift up on the door to see if there is any up and down movement. If there is look at the hinges. If the body of the hinges does not move at the mounting points, but you see movement where the hinges swivels then you need new hinges. If the body moves then re-align and re-tighten. If no up/down movement in the door then you will need to adjust the door latch pin.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:57 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
If the body of the hinges does not move at the mounting points, but you see movement where the hinges swivels then you need new hinges.
You may not need a new hinge. You could just need a new hinge bushings and/or hinge pin. You should be able to pick up one at your local auto-parts store or dealer. Fairly inexpensive to buy, but a PITA to install.

Good luck...
Old 09-11-2010, 05:45 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Really petrock if the op can't figure out if he needs hinges do you think he can rebuild them. That is why I did not offer that advice

Last edited by DRAGUL; 09-11-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
Really petrock if the op can't figure out if he needs hinges do you think he can rebuild them. That is why I did not offer that advice
Thats part of the problem with this forum. Too many people assume that just because someone asks a question that the op is dumb, inexperienced or uneducated.

I find its better to give the op as much info as possible. If the op think he/she can fix the problem with that info, then cool. Otherwise they can take it to a shop and have the shop do it. Either way, they are better off then they were before they asked the question. Not giving the op all the info is doing a disservice to the op and anyone else who reads the thread. /rant

Last edited by petrock; 09-11-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 AM
urbnmat

Definately sounds like a hinge shim/pin. Cars tend to sag with opening and shutting them over the years.