General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

H.I.D.'s wont stop flickering

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 PM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Factory option was $500 and it's covered for the warranty of the car. My time is worth more than the price difference in fiddiling with something aftermarket for my headlights.
How much time has been spent on "fixing" the aftermarket headlights?

If you have someone that does the work for you for free. Take advantage of it. Otherwise I don't mind paying extra to not have to worry about it. Not saying OEM is always the way to go but on some things it is. Less hassle.

Oh and if you didnt' buy them WITH the car, don't go to the dealer, it's more expensive to buy the parts than to have bought the option to begin with.

What I meant is, why didn't you buy them as an installed option when you bought the car?

I definitely see your point and it's very true with everything you said.
I couldn't get it as an option because I bought the car used lol
Old 10-15-2010, 02:05 PM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Okay,

So now I had my friend install a new ballast on my passenger side since it's still flickering. Unfortunately it is still flickering. I'm thinking maybe the shop that installed them in the first place did a sh!tty wiring job??? Anyone have any ideas on that?

I called the shop this morning that originally installed them and they're claiming that the new mustangs have low voltage. He said he's been having the same problems with Dodge's...he said he had the same flickering issue with a Charger yesterday.

The guy at the shop said he was ordering some H.I.D. kit's that run on low voltage cars (9 volts) and that it would be perfect for my car. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Is it even possible for my car to have low voltage? Everything starts and lights up fine so I don't know what he's talking about. Do you think he's full of it? Should I just get a new H.I.D. Kit all together? Please guys, help me out what should I do...and have any of you had this flickering issue? How did you fix it?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:56 AM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Quite honestly, I never heard of low voltage or 9 volts HID kits. I had this problem with my very first HID kit but I bought it from eBay (which was the problem). So I ditched that kit, bought a different HID kit from retro-solutions and never had a problem. I was 19 years old when I installed the kit myself, it was that easy. I recommend their product because I don't have any issues at all and it's LIFETIME warranty. Ballast defective? They will check it first and if it's bad - they'll replace it for free. How do I know this? I had one bad ballast and they said a new one is on the way.

Just thought I could try to help you out here buddy. If you need further help, let me know.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:03 PM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtnblk.GT
Quite honestly, I never heard of low voltage or 9 volts HID kits. I had this problem with my very first HID kit but I bought it from eBay (which was the problem). So I ditched that kit, bought a different HID kit from retro-solutions and never had a problem. I was 19 years old when I installed the kit myself, it was that easy. I recommend their product because I don't have any issues at all and it's LIFETIME warranty. Ballast defective? They will check it first and if it's bad - they'll replace it for free. How do I know this? I had one bad ballast and they said a new one is on the way.

Just thought I could try to help you out here buddy. If you need further help, let me know.
Thanks for the advice buddy...I appreciate it. Well I went to a shop that I've always gone to in the past and he told me the problem was that the brand I bought from that other shop requires higher voltage which the mustang doesn't have. He said that brand is better for japanese cars not American cars. He said that always happens with the brand I bought. So I had him replace the whole kit yesterday and now no issues at all. He just switched everything out so I'm finally good to go lol...

I actually am wondering if anyone on here has a non-american car besides their mustang with H13 bulbs so I can sell the hid kit to them at a lower price then I bought them for obviously. My buddy said that they'll work in another car besides American, because if you install these in an American car, you're gonna need a relay and who knows what else, so I think it's better if someone with maybe a honda, toyota, etc takes these off my hands.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10silverstang
It doesn't stop flickering at all....and now it just doesn't turn on.
Im calling for a bad ballast. Swap the ballast from one headlight tothe other.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:03 AM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10silverstang
Thanks for the advice buddy...I appreciate it. Well I went to a shop that I've always gone to in the past and he told me the problem was that the brand I bought from that other shop requires higher voltage which the mustang doesn't have. He said that brand is better for japanese cars not American cars. He said that always happens with the brand I bought. So I had him replace the whole kit yesterday and now no issues at all. He just switched everything out so I'm finally good to go lol...

I actually am wondering if anyone on here has a non-american car besides their mustang with H13 bulbs so I can sell the hid kit to them at a lower price then I bought them for obviously. My buddy said that they'll work in another car besides American, because if you install these in an American car, you're gonna need a relay and who knows what else, so I think it's better if someone with maybe a honda, toyota, etc takes these off my hands.
Glad to hear your car is back on the road. Maybe join a honda forum and sell it from there? Haha, just another suggestion.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:04 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by v braaten
I think I have your answer. Since you live in California, the HID's are refusing to work because It's against the law to use them in Cali. The Bulbs know this.
I don't understand. Why would Cali make HID lights illegal? They just make you see better at night, they do not pollute or anything like that.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I don't understand. Why would Cali make HID lights illegal? They just make you see better at night, they do not pollute or anything like that.
b/c most ppl who put them in their car are jackwagons and don't know how to aim them, therefore, making everyone driving the other direction blind from idiots with HIDs aimed at airplanes

sounds to me like the guy who installed you HIDs doesn't know what he was doing, hope he didn't charge you and arm and a leg especially since he won't have you bring your car in so he can inspect the work he half did (1 of your 2 headlights work, seriously I'd be ticked off)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
b/c most ppl who put them in their car are jackwagons and don't know how to aim them, therefore, making everyone driving the other direction blind from idiots with HIDs aimed at airplanes

sounds to me like the guy who installed you HIDs doesn't know what he was doing, hope he didn't charge you and arm and a leg especially since he won't have you bring your car in so he can inspect the work he half did (1 of your 2 headlights work, seriously I'd be ticked off)
When you say jackwagons, do you mean those ugly-*** ghetto donk mobiles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ogi2C2hDxA
Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 PM
GT 500 clone

I need some help, have a 2010 mustang and bought OEM HID headlites to upgrade. The wiring on my 2010 only has 3 connectors at the headlight plug in. The new HID lights have 4 terminals in the plug in. What do I do?? please email me a clinedvpr@yahoo.com Thanks, David

Quick Reply: H.I.D.'s wont stop flickering