General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CAI and tune question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Default CAI and tune question

I know there are a TON of threads on CAI and tunes, but my question is a little different. It seems a bit expensive to buy a tuner with your CAI just to use it once and put it away (If the CAI is the only thing you need the tune for)

So, I was wondering if many mechanics or shops that would install a CAI would also have the tuners around to do the tune for you.

I'm perfectly capable of installing a CAI myself. It's a piece of cake. But, if paying a guy $100 to install would include a tune, then it seems like that would be the way to go and save you a bunch instead of buying a tuner that you would once just once.

Nearly any mechanic can run and clear codes... it seems to me that they would have the equipment around to re-tune your car to fix various issues anyway. Right?

Simply put: Does the typical mechanic have a tuner?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Sure they do, it's called a Dynometer and it will cost at least 125 an hour to custom tune your car for the CAi. You will not be able to put the car to stock if you decide to remove the CAI or change any other engine component without having to have a Dyno run done again for each change. Also, you will be stuck with whatever octane of fuel the Dyno Tune was done for, none of this, oh there's only 89 available so I'll change my tune from 91 to 89 to be fine.

Get the CAI and get the tuner. Otherwise it's like buying toothpaste without the toothbrush

Edit, to answer your question bluntly. A mechanic may have a tuner but each tuner is locked to a specific VIN numbered car. One tuner, one car.

That and there are thousands if not millions of parts combos they would need to have files for that an average mechanic won't have.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

That actually makes a lot of sense.

It'd be nice if the CAI manufacturers would include a very basic (and cheap) flash tuner with their product. A lot of use don't really plan on going all out on performance parts, installing a new mod and a new tune every two weeks. I'm not going to get a lot of use out of a $400 tuner. Almost a waste.

But, looks like a combo package might be on my Christmas list!

No Biggie, It's just money... :P
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

That handheld also doubles as a diagnostic tool (Code scanner) so that alone is worth $100+.

There are some brands of CAI's that don't require a tune but then it sort of defeats the purpose of getting a CAi in the first place.

Go check out Brenspeed.com or AmericanMuscle.com for their combo packs. Well worth it!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Having a diagnostic code reader would at least be something I could see using from time to time.

I've read all the other threads and think I'll go with what most people seem to agree is the best bang for my buck. The JLT CAI with the SF3 tuner (combo pack) http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-sct-0509gt-kit.html

Plus, even though I'm currently not a performance freak... I've always said that once the car gets older... I'll probably go nuts with it to keep the fun alive. That's when I'll be glad I have the tuner.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Sorry for the double post.

Just wanted to say that at this point, we don't need yet another CAI discussion thread. There's already too may of them.

Derf00 settled the issue completely for me by stating something I didn't know, that each tuner is married to a specific car. Learn something every day.

Bottom line, I could go with a dyno if I wanted too, and it might save me a few bucks (just barely) but if I made another change in the future, I'll already be losing money and should have just bought the tuner to begin with.

Thanks for the info everybody.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

they will not include a flash tuner because of cost. there is no way to make a cheap flash tuner. they could possibly include a chip with a tune loaded on it, but then that doesnt make much sense from the business end.

you can buy used handhelds for cheap dude. like 150-200 bucks. just make sure they aren't married to a car already.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM
2INTHEPINK1INTHESTINK

A handheld tuner and wideband O2. Save the dyno time for later.