General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convince a 2002 Z28 owner to become a mustang guy

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 PM
TwitchZ28

Default Convince a 2002 Z28 owner to become a mustang guy

Hey guys I had a thread going but i think it got going in the wrong area so it may have been deleted...i cant find it.

Anyways heres the details
I own a 2002 Camaro Z28 with 53,000 Miles. Intake/Cat-Back
I got offered aprox 11 grand for it and am considering selling
My camaro went 13.4 @ 104mph in the 1/4 and I don't want to buy anything much slower

My challenge to everyone is convince me why you think mustangs are better than camaros. Or in general ford. vs chevy.
I was born and raised a chevy guy but I am trying to see the other side of things.

things I love about my camaro
LS1's amazing powerband
Aren't that common

things I don't like
the automatic
the fact that noone on the street knows what it is and has no respect for it unless its an old guy
the name camaro is often synonymous with the word mullet

things I like about mustangs
Appearance(Cobra's, Mach 1's Bullits) Not GT's
SOUND there is nothing like the sound of a mustang!
somehow they get girls

things I dont like mustangs
They are EVERYWHERE and every chick that can't drive has a v6
performance of the GT just lacks in comparison to the ls1

Argue away!!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
bojanglesowner07252
2nd Gear Member

get a 2011 5.0 you will smash that 13.4 camaro by running a 12.8 to 13.1 consistently and improve that with very minor mods. Who cares if its a GT, make it look nice there are so many ways to customize it. By now you can find an 05 gt modded in the 15k range. A month back some dude local to me sold his 05 gt with the roushcharger and 45k miles for like 15,900....Is the 11k you talk about selling the camaro for the only money towards a stang??
Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Kydwykkyd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
Hey guys I had a thread going but i think it got going in the wrong area so it may have been deleted...i cant find it.

Anyways heres the details
I own a 2002 Camaro Z28 with 53,000 Miles. Intake/Cat-Back
I got offered aprox 11 grand for it and am considering selling
My camaro went 13.4 @ 104mph in the 1/4 and I don't want to buy anything much slower

My challenge to everyone is convince me why you think mustangs are better than camaros. Or in general ford. vs chevy.
I was born and raised a chevy guy but I am trying to see the other side of things.

things I love about my camaro
LS1's amazing powerband
Aren't that common

things I don't like
the automatic
the fact that noone on the street knows what it is and has no respect for it unless its an old guy
the name camaro is often synonymous with the word mullet

things I like about mustangs
Appearance(Cobra's, Mach 1's Bullits) Not GT's
SOUND there is nothing like the sound of a mustang!
somehow they get girls

things I dont like mustangs
They are EVERYWHERE and every chick that can't drive has a v6
performance of the GT just lacks in comparison to the ls1

Argue away!!
Hey bro im not going to argue just put out the facts, if you get upset by it thats not my problemo, here it goes.

The LS1 has a 5.7 so obviously its faster than a GT's 4.6, however the same 4.6 in MY mach 1 makes 305hp and keeps up with LS1 and even beats some. Next fords almost ALWAYS make more hp/liter, look at the new 5.0 412hp, or the 5.0 in the 2012 boss 440hp, the '10 4.6 315hp (ls1 is 5.7 with 340hp), the 2000 cobra r 5.4 has 385hp topping the Ls1. I just dont get why anyone would prefer a chevy over a ford UNLESS they are ignorant of Fords latest engines. Its all up to you pick your car, stick to it, drive it, own it.

Ford chvey
80s 5.0 (225hp) 5.7(221hp) lt1
90s 4.6 (325hp)01 cobra 5.7(340hp) ls1
00 5.4 (385hp) cobra r
'12 5.0 (440hp) boss 6.2 (426hp) ls3
'11 5.4 s/c (720hp) super snake 6.2 s/c(638hp) ZR1

goodluck, all american muscle
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 PM
TwitchZ28

very valid points however first off the 11k is my price range. I am a college student/training to be an army officer(enlisted since 08 fyi) and do not have ANY spare cash for this so that is my budget period.

Second just because a gt makes more hp/cubic inch does not mean I will choose a smaller motor. yes the ls1 may be less efficient than the 4.6 in the gt, but it is bigger and makes more power and IS(not debated) much faster stock for stock

the dohc in the mach 1/01 cobra is a different story. I think that it is a good motor and the solid 305 hp it recieves definatly can keep up with ls1s since the power to weight ratio is better. this brings me to exactly where I stand. I think I would like a mach or a cobra with the dohc...but Im just seriously not interested in the sohc gt.

continue the arguments boys say whatever you want I am not going to be offended I am asking for it haha
Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
TwitchZ28

btw. where did you get 325 hp for the 90's gts???? the sohc is under 300hp man
Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I like camaro's, and chevy for that matter. I own a 85 S10 with a SBC swap along with my GT. But for you saying GT's are slow you can take your LS1 and shove it. With my "measly" NPI 4.6 with only full exhaust, and minor suspension work, Ive kept with the camaro's around here. The biggest thing you can do with any car is know how to drive it, and its limits.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 PM
TwitchZ28

touchy touchy man. Gt's in general are fast but when I bought my ls1 I drove prolly 5 4.6 sohc gt's and they just didnt touch the ls1's torque band stock for stock. Great cars but in my mind the gt's are just two common. I see 5 different ones every day when I walk ten mins across campus
Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Sorry man, its almost like walking into the getto and yelling the n word. A lot of us take pride in our cars and coming in like that is like throwing gas on a fire. Im sure I would get worse if I did a thread like this on a camaro forum.

I get crap about how everyone has a mustang, but you see just as many camaro's around here too. Im not even going to touch the rice burner population around here. In the end the car is the same, its just what styling you like, and what you do to make it your own. Chevy's will be cheaper to work with, hence my s10 drag project, however I love the comfort and style of my Ford. Its all in preference in the end.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 PM
TwitchZ28

cool man. Like I said I wasn't trying to get under anyones skin and I knew I would kinda do so by "walkin in the ghetto" but hopefully if I can get a couple people rowed up I can get them to defend why they think mustangs are better...and I can get productive answers to my questions

and yes. for some reason the majority of camaro owners despise mustangs...its kinda annoying
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
cool man. Like I said I wasn't trying to get under anyones skin and I knew I would kinda do so by "walkin in the ghetto" but hopefully if I can get a couple people rowed up I can get them to defend why they think mustangs are better...and I can get productive answers to my questions

and yes. for some reason the majority of camaro owners despise mustangs...its kinda annoying
Thats because we build our GT's and walk away from them lol.

Quick Reply: Convince a 2002 Z28 owner to become a mustang guy