General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Real-time data?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default Real-time data?

Is there some software/kit that would allow me to use a laptop in my car so I can see real-time data of the engine, etc?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:27 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Real-time data?

There's a kit called PMS (hehe), idk where to buy it and anything specific on it.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:32 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

For you engine control computers provided by Ford, either ECC-IV or V, there is a bunch of stuff out there, non of which does real type of work. Ha, Saleen uses ECC-V, they provide pretty good data for it, but still there is no way around Ford's emissions complient computer program, so performance suffers in any application of Ford's engine control computers. I didn't spend dime on my old ECC-IV, I don't plan spending anything on my new ECC-V either, they are worthless.

An aftermarket ECU is the way to go if you want some real power and durability in EFI world. Check out the fastest EFI cars out there, those pro stockers that run 7 seconds, those high buck imports that make ton of horsepower on lawnmover engine, they all use aftermarket ECU. Ability to tune performance of your engine 100% is the key to performance.

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/em_m3dk.html
http://www.megasquirt.info
http://www.picasso.org
Accel DFI
and Bosch EFI just to name a few.

Everyone of these gives you an ability to connect using a computer for tuning of all available aspects of the program or reading or real time data.

AL
Old 08-20-2005, 11:07 PM
ghoste
3rd Gear Member

DiabloSport Predator, Once again....

http://www.diablosport.com/main.php
Old 08-20-2005, 11:59 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ghoste

DiabloSport Predator, Once again....

http://www.diablosport.com/main.php

There is no way around Ford's emissions engine control program. When compared to what the thing your mentioned can adjust to what can be adjusted using and aftermarket ECU, it's a waste of money. It is a waste of money especially when an aftermarket ECU cost less than a diablesport predator. Enjoy your useless piece of tuning equipment.

AL
Old 08-21-2005, 01:43 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

Some of us use our cars as daily drivers, and as such must pass emissions inspections. Changing the ECU in this car isn't even worth considering and ain't going to happen
Old 08-21-2005, 02:41 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: The Great Cornholio
Some of us use our cars as daily drivers, and as such must pass emissions inspections. Changing the ECU in this car isn't even worth considering and ain't going to happen

With an aftermarket ECU you could load emissions friendly program and data using your laptop while you are inline for inspection, pass the inspection, then load your race program and data and keep on burning the road.

Just what made you think an aftermarket ECU can't be emissions complient? Or for that matter MPG friendly and superiour to OEM? [8D] It's all in what you tune it for.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:33 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

One important thing right now: warranty
Old 08-22-2005, 12:06 AM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Yes, it is true. lol

Mine is a pristine 01, with only 16k miles on it, pre-owned. Warranty expires after 2k miles.

Even as much as installing a chip into your new stang will void your warranty, so that's a problem. I was thinking of a way around it, and no doubt there is one. Engine harness goes into ECC-V, make an adapter or cable that goes between engine harness and ECC-V (using stock connectors, a bolt on), this adapter will have 3 ends to it, one goes to engine harness, one goes to ECC-V and one goes to megasquirt. The adapter does one thing, separate stuff that should go to megasquirt and stuff that should go to ECC-V. For as long as you drive on the street, use megasquirt, when you have to take it in for service, disconnect everything and use your ECC-V. Easy.

I'm working on megasquirt right now, I want it to be an extremely clean installation, one that you could take out and switch to ECC-V in 2 minutes. I plan to offer this adapter I described, a common chassis for megasquirt and relays, and of course a common started map for megasquirt. So that everything is basically a bolt on, as easy as installing a hard drive, no fuzz stuff.

AL
Old 08-22-2005, 12:17 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

Sounds like a plan, keep updates coming as it progresses.