General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87' 5.0 wont start! pls help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM
5.0Riddah408

Default 87' 5.0 wont start! pls help

can somone help me please!

just came home on leave the first three days cruised around all day no problem. my boy who grew up in a car family wanted to hook me up with a sound system.. 2 component speakers, a new stereo, and subs... anyways when he finished i drove it home that night and everything was good. the next morning im supposed to drive it down from the bay area, ca to san diego where im station and it wouldnt start!

so heres what they did...
-they removed the two speakers on the front dash replaced them with tweeters
-removed the door panels and replaced the speakers there
-all that was wired to crossovers that they put under the new stereo, leaving the old wires alone they just re wired everything
-the amp & rca wires ran on the passenger side under the panels
-the power cord for the subwoofers ran from the batt on the dirver side
drilled a hole thru the fire wall then under the panels to the trunk

thats all that was done to the car...

when i started it that morning it would crank but not start!
i saw the batt connectors there was no insulation and looked like acid was in the wire.. replaced those with 2 gauge batt connectors

then i tried to jump start the car, let it charge for a good 5 min still cranked but no start..

grounded myself holding a screw driver, removed a spark plug boot put them next to each other to see if theres spark, and there is..

i hear the fuel pump everytime i turn the key

took out the intake, sprayed starter fluid thru the throttle body put back the intake check wheather spark or fuel, still did not start

im thinking its electric but i dont know how to check tell you the truth.. if anyone can help please do

-thnks
Old 12-27-2010, 09:29 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0Riddah408
then i tried to jump start the car, let it charge for a good 5 min still cranked but no start..
So you were able to jump start the car and it was running etc for 5 mins, correct? If so, then that would indicate that your battery doesn't have enough juice to handle the new toys you installed. Try disconnecting the amp, subwoofers etc and see if it starts unassisted. If so, theres your problem. The new toys are drawing too much juice. You need a bigger/stronger battery. But it may also mean you need a bigger/stronger alternator to keep the battery charged while your driving.

Most auto parts stores will test your battery and alternator for free. Good luck...
Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 AM
5.0Riddah408

i meant i let it charge for 5 min before i tried to jump the car. still the same crank no start subs all dat was disconnected. the car never was able to run.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:58 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0Riddah408
i meant i let it charge for 5 min before i tried to jump the car. still the same crank no start subs all dat was disconnected. the car never was able to run.
OK, that rules the battery out (unless the new toys are drawing more power then two batteries can provide). Check all the fuses for continuity with a multi-meter or fuse tester. A visual check is only a basic test. The fuse can look good, but still be bad. Most fuse kits come with a fuse tester now a days. Would also be a good idea to take your battery into a local auto parts store and have them do a voltage and load test on it. The load test is the key, it simulates the conditions during startup. Most places will do it for free. May also be a good idea to have them check out your alternator. If all that checks out, try disconnecting the new toys from their power sources etc and see if that helps. They may have shorted something out during the install, or the new toys are just drawing way too much juice for your electrical system.

If all that doesn't help, then rent a fuel pressure gauge from your local auto parts store and run a fuel pressure test. Just because you can hear the pump prime when you put the key in doesn't mean the fuel is getting to the cylinders.

Also, when you checked for spark, did you check all the spark plugs or only a couple?

Last edited by petrock; 12-28-2010 at 04:00 PM.