General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vacum line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Modidy

Default Vacum line replacement

I am new here, and did try the search first, but could not find the information I was looking for. I recently purchased a 04 GT convertible. In the process of doing a tune up, while replacing the PCV valve, I tore a severly dry rotted vac line the connects under the upper intake manifold section. I believe it's the line that runs to the charcoal canister... anyway, it broke off at a point under the upper manifold.

My question: Do I have to remove the upper intake manifold to install a new line? I have big hands, and can't get them in there far enough to feel the nipple it goes back on. Is there an easy way of replacing that line without removing the upper intake? It's making the car run a little rough from the vac leak.

Any and all help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Mo
Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Modidy
My question: Do I have to remove the upper intake manifold to install a new line? I have big hands, and can't get them in there far enough to feel the nipple it goes back on. Is there an easy way of replacing that line without removing the upper intake?
You could try a set of needle nose or hose puller pliers. Good luck...
Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Modidy

I am new here, and did try the search first, but could not find the information I was looking for. I recently purchased a 04 GT convertible. In the process of doing a tune up, while replacing the PCV valve, I tore a severly dry rotted vac line the connects under the upper intake manifold section. I believe it's the line that runs to the charcoal canister... anyway, it broke off at a point under the upper manifold.

My question: Do I have to remove the upper intake manifold to install a new line? I have big hands, and can't get them in there far enough to feel the nipple it goes back on. Is there an easy way of replacing that line without removing the upper intake? It's making the car run a little rough from the vac leak.

Any and all help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Mo
big ooops in my post... it's a 94, not 04... wishful posting I guess

I will try the needle nose, but there doesn't seem to be enough room to get the angle needed.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:37 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I will try the needle nose, but there doesn't seem to be enough room to get the angle needed.
You could get a longer set of pliers. There are even angled sets you could pick up. However, its fairly simple to pull the upper intake. A new gasket is pretty cheap, and some would even re-use the original if it is still in good shape.