General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Custom Exhaust Extreme Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:36 AM
DickWallace

Default Custom Exhaust Extreme Beginner

I got my hands on a 96 v6 and the first mod i want to tackle is the exhaust. I don't even know where to begin. I'm still learning all the parts, catalytic converts, manifolds etc. Still not sure what they all do. I'd like to learn how the stock system works before I get further into this. I've read that x-pipes are best for performance but some people dont like the sound. I'm all for performance so I think I want to do x-pipes. I read that the stock manifolds are just fine so I don't guess I'll need any aftermarket ones, unless u guys say other wise. Don't know which muffler to get either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 AM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

so here is a diagram of a basic exhaust system. its pretty simple for the mustangs. you have 2 exhaust manifolds(1 on each side connected to the heads), for your v6, it has a Y-pipe (which brings the 2 manifolds into 1 pipe), and on the v8 stangs they come stock with an H-pipe(keeps the dual exhaust all the way back. These 2 pipes are also called mid-pipes, they hold the catalytic converters (which burn excess fuel). The midpipe then connects to the rear half of the exhaust system that contains the mufflers and the exhaust tips in the back. This is referred to the catback system. There are tons and tons of options to chose from when working on your exhaust. You will probably want to just start with a basic midpipe and catback system. You will have to buy a midpipe made for the v6, which will then allow you to use the dual exhaust catback systems made for the v8's. American muscle has some complete dual exhaust conversion kits for a pretty good price. As far as the difference between x-pipes and h-pipes, the x tends to flow a tiny bit better (not really enough to notice a difference) and it has a more raspy tone than the h-pipe. you also have to decide if you want a midpipe with the Catalytic converters or not (offroad pipe). this usually depends on your states laws and whether or not you want to break them :-) there are tons of different catback/muffler systems, so finding the one that is right for you is a matter of personal preference. go to youtube and listen to some diferrent exhaust clip videos and figure out what you like. and sorry for the novel, got a little carried away. haha

Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
DickWallace

thanks a lot. that pic was very helpful. i talked to a guy today in person and says straight pipes all the way, no need to h or x? is that right? he said the quicker the exhaust can leave the pipes the better?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

i dont think i would go with straight pipes. from what i understand, the crossover is there to balance out the exhaust tone because the firing order for our cars doesnt go in order from left side to right side. If you had straight pipes then i think it would sound poppy, and the crossover smooths it out. you would also have to get straight pipes custom made, because i have never seen them sold for the mustangs.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

You're 6'r will sound like raspy chit if U went with a straight pipe. Even worse than ricer drone.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
DickWallace

ugh ok a few more questions
1. is it cheaper to buy the parts individually or as a kit.
2.how many catalytic converters do i have and will i need more if im going true dual?
are there performance cat converters that don't restrict as much air flow?
3.buy online or at a parts shop, then pay a different shop to put them on or just get parts and installation all at the same shop?

Thanks again for all the help so far.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 AM
DickWallace

man sorry, i just have so many questions. what size pipes do i have now and what should i go with? is wider better? and also, someone mentioned getting rid of the resonator, i can't even find where that is on the diagrams or what it's for. thanks again.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

it is usually a little cheaper to buy stuff in kits than in pieces. I think that your mustang has 2 cats stock, but depending on emissions laws in your state, you may not need any cats at all. You might be able to talk to a local shop and they may be able to get you a good deal on a kit and install it for you as well. just shop around for prices. pretty much all aftermarket exhaust systems that come with cats have hi-flow cats for a little extra power. Im not sure what the stock exhaust pipe size on your car is, but most kits are 2-1/2" and then some have larger exhaust tips for show. And as far as the resonator goes, if you are replacing your complete exhaust system, it will come out with the old stuff.