General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How I should go about upping octane

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

Default How I should go about upping octane

Ive got a 4 liter 2007 v6 that i'm running stock right now with 87 octane fuel

I ordered cold air intake and a tuner and the tune i got is for 89 octane. How should i go about making sure there's no 87 left in my car so it doesnt hurt anything?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I would run it until it's almost empty and then go fill up with 91 or 93. Then install your CAI and tune. Next full up go for the 89.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:34 AM
amustangrocks
2nd Gear Member

who wrote your tune? and what cai? just run the car down as low as you can, then fill it up with your 89, you should be fine. or, you can fill up with the 89, run a tank through with the 87 or factory tune, then install the custom tune on the next fill up. you can run a higher octane with a lesser tune, but you dont want to run a higher octane tune with less octane.

example, i can run 93 with my 91 tune, just dont get quite all the benfits from the 93.

as far as that goes, you can run the 91 with your 87 or 89 tune, just wasting a little money.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:29 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

i just read about some stuff that you can add to your gas tank to boost the octane 6 numbers, do yall think that would be a safe alternative? lol its gonna take me a week at least to run my tank down and its supposed to come in the mail today

and i got the ford racing cai and its a bama tune
Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 AM
mustangted
1st Gear Member

6 numbers makes 87 into 87.6
Old 03-20-2011, 02:41 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

well eff...thank you for telling me that. that could have really messed some things up
Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Stay away from octane boosters. I have seen those things coat spark plugs with a red gel-like substance until the point where cylinders weren't even firing. They can be bad news if you don't use the right ones.

The ONLY one I trust is Torco Mach Accelerator. Other than that, I'd just drive 100-150 miles or so, and top it off with 93 octane. That should be about 5-7 gallons of 93 octane mixed with 7-9ish gallons of 87. That'll do! From there, just make sure you always fill up with 89 octane. The 87/89 are so similar that if you got stuck and HAD to fill up with 87 you'd be okay, as long as it was from a large chain gas station, stay away from small stations. If you have to fill up with 87, just make sure you drive the car conservatively, and don't get on it too hard.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Stay away from octane boosters. I have seen those things coat spark plugs with a red gel-like substance until the point where cylinders weren't even firing. They can be bad news if you don't use the right ones.

The ONLY one I trust is Torco Mach Accelerator. Other than that, I'd just drive 100-150 miles or so, and top it off with 93 octane. That should be about 5-7 gallons of 93 octane mixed with 7-9ish gallons of 87. That'll do! From there, just make sure you always fill up with 89 octane. The 87/89 are so similar that if you got stuck and HAD to fill up with 87 you'd be okay, as long as it was from a large chain gas station, stay away from small stations. If you have to fill up with 87, just make sure you drive the car conservatively, and don't get on it too hard.
Chris, what would you say about STP Fuel Injection Cleaner?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
Chris, what would you say about STP Fuel Injection Cleaner?
If you get something for the fuel system, get something that has an PEA base. Like Redline SI-1 or Amsoil PI, Techron Concentrate, and Gumout with Regane to name a few. That should help clean the injectors and valves and anything else it touches.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
04goat
1st Gear Member

the best thing i have found for more octane is tolulene. now it is outlawed in alot of states. but you can find it. it is what's in race fuel, plus other stuff.

Quick Reply: How I should go about upping octane