General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

installed P3200BT now power issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 PM
mmoffitt

Default installed P3200BT now power issues

I just installed the P3200BT. I've got two issues:

1. Anytime the Backup camera is "on" on the deck, even if I'm listening to radio or watching a DVD, it keeps trying to switch back to the backup cam about 15 seconds after I've selected a different source.

2. The bigger issue! Now my car won't start! and whenever I press on the brakes, the lights dim, and the radio goes off. If I try to start the car it clicks like a bad battery (but that's not it!). About to recheck connections but I double checked when I hooked it up...ideas?

Thanks!

MIke
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 PM
mmoffitt

I"ve now completely removed the radio and any wiring I added (which was just tapping into the backup lights for the backup camera. The power issue still remains. if I step on the brake peddle the lights dim and all the power in the car goes out...then it will come back on...then if you let it just sit there not pressing on anything (this is after you have pressed the brake at least once) the interior lights will blink about once a second...
Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 PM
mmoffitt

it appears the interior lights are actually blinking some kind of code some time...7 flashes then 2 flashes...but sometimes it just does 3...I really need help here!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

did you test the wire you hooked into for the back up camera power or did you just stab a wire you were told was the right color? Can you take some pics of your install so I can see what you did?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 AM
mmoffitt

Originally Posted by ttocs
did you test the wire you hooked into for the back up camera power or did you just stab a wire you were told was the right color? Can you take some pics of your install so I can see what you did?
I tested it with a meter before installing. I get 12v when the car is in reverse. So it's the backup lights that I'm plugged into.

I got the car started...not sure what I did, unplugged everything, checked every fuse, put a charger on the car, wiggled some wires, etc. Something in all that fixed the power issue. So I put it all back together one piece at a time testing the car/brakes after each connection and it all works now...go figure.

So now I'm down to just trying to figure out the deck itself...here's the questions I still have:

1. Anytime the Backup camera is "on" on the deck, even if I'm listening to radio or watching a DVD, it keeps trying to switch back to the backup cam about 15 seconds after I've selected a different source. (I've currently got the camera connected to the backup lights for power and grounded but I don't have the wire on the headunit for backup camera sensing connected)

2. The "tag" button is greyed out and I can't figure out how to enable it. I've tried with Ipod connected, not connected. SD card in, SD card out...can't figure out how to enable it..

3. My phone book doesn't transfer over. My recieved/missed/made calls are all here but when I select the phone book, there is nothing there. My phone is a Samsung Captivate (Android system).

I'll post pics after a few hours of sleep! It was a long day since I'm a noob..

Mike
Old 04-28-2011, 01:05 AM
mmoffitt

In case anyone else experience the same issues, I've got a least a few answers.

1. Backup camera issue: I didn't understand that I needed to run 2 wires from the radio to the back of the car to the camera. The violet/white wire out of the radio is for sensing when the car goes in reverse. That wire runs to the back of the car and connects to the hot wire of the backup lights so that it's hot when the lights come on. Then you have to run a 12+ switched wire (red from the radio) to the back and connect to the + of the camera. Then I still had the problem with it switching back to the camera every 15 seconds or so...Found out that the ground wire from the camera HAS to be grounded to a wired ground...it can't be grounded to the chassis...weird, but confirmed!

2. Tagging issue: I was told be a rep (not sure if it's true, but who knows) That the itunes tagging only works on HD radio.

3. My phone contacts finally transfered...looks like I had to accept permissions on my phone for the radio to access them. After that, it just took a little while for them all to populate.

Couldn't figure out how to post pics...sorry.

Mike