General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Advice on buying process! help

Old 09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Advice on buying process! help

hey, im currently trying to buy my first GT (finally). its a good deal the seller wants 13200 for a 2006 GT coupe, 36,291 miles. heres the problem though...

The car is registered to his mother, and it has a lien. theres an outstanding balance that has not been payed so the car is owned by Ford Motor Credit. signing the title over before the lien is payed off will not do any good unless im wrong. Also, the Ford Motor Credit bank is in Pennsylvania while we are not close to it so it would be a bit of a ride down there to do this infront of them.

what would be the safest way to complete this sale? If you have personal experience or know of anyone that has done this feel free to help out lol.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

The car will have to be paid off first and depending on your DMV, you will have to get a lien release from the bank before you can even get the lien taken off the title. Now, if you don't pay cash to the bank, they will make you wait a couple of weeks for the check to clear and to mail you the lien release.

It's a major, major hassle, but it's doable, if you have the patience and keep and eye out so you don't get screwed over. If you want to go through with this, then go with the seller down to Penn. and do all the paperwork, then head to the DMV with them and finish the rest of it. Easiest way, IMO.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

right thats what many people have told me. i live in NY btw, and i called the dmv they said that the title does hold value to it so if he signed it over and had the satisfaction mailed to my residence then all i would have to do is bring it in to the dmv.

the new problem now is that Ford Motor said it can take around 10 days to release the lien and have the satisfaction mailed out & they arent sure if they can over night it too. this car is going to be sitting around for at least 2 weeks id say. anything could happen to this car and ill be stuck.

i would like the seller to just have it paid off himself but they refuse too because "theres no guarentee that ill stick to the deal" ..... suggestions ?
Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

wow what a jerk, stay away is my advice...the seller should have everything in order before they try to put it up for sale...STAY AWAY...it looks like a mess waiting to happen IMO, can you find another one? if not then refuse to do anything until they get their stuff in order.