General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

the next project.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:24 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default the next project.....

I picked up a NPI 4.6 and auto trans out of a 99 Crown vice ex police car from my brother awhile back. It will be the heart of my next project that will hopefully start next spring. I plan on dropping in the 4.6 and auto trans in my 83 for a nice DD that the family can enjoy with me. I eventually plan on having a Mark 8 motor under the hood at some point but for now this is the starting point of the swap.

I finally got a chance to get it off the ground and onto an engine stand so i can look it over. Unfortunately I do not have a room to tear it down where it currently sits but I am going to pull the pan and valve covers to see how it looks at some point this winter hopefully. It has a 170k+ miles on it and has a knock or tap on start up in the bottom end somewhere. I personally have not heard it but my brother is the one who removed it from the car. He said it still felt strong for the mileage. Right now I plan on doing bearings, gaskets and chains but we will see how the cylinders look when it comes apart. I'm thinking of going ahead and doing a PI swap on it to give it a little more boost but I also don't want to drop a ton of money in the SOHC when I plan on dropping in a 32v. Either way the project is going to be done right so money isn't really gonna be deciding factor with what I do.

Its a mess but it has been sitting on the ground in a barn for at about a year..........