General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! opening Headlights on SGT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 PM
swahler1

Default Help! opening Headlights on SGT?

Hey guys, This is the first time I am posting a thread so bare with me!
I have trying to get the headlights off my 07SGT because there is a build up of dust and dirt that is noticeable annoying when the lights are on. I think i read somewhere the only way yo remove the headlights completely was to remove the front bumper? This true? AND once i get the headlights out, is it even possible to get behind or take apart the light and clean the dust without breaking the plastic?
I just went to the pepboys and the guy told me that the light housing is sealed and you need a heat lamp of open it up without breaking it? Is there a way around this or will they just pop open?

Im not sure how to add a pic but this link works and shows a pic of what im talking about ANY HELP??

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...BOrKXExBociu_4
Old 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

2005 to 2010 mustang headlights can be pried apart by placing them in an oven held at 250F for about 1 hour. Then using protective gloves, start to pry the covers off. Then you can get inside of your headlights. While you have them off, why not retrofit some HID projectors. Check out the retrofitsource.com. And yes, you have to take your front bumper off to get to the headlights. However, it is only 6 screws on the bottom, two on the side, two on top, and a couple of push plugs, as well as your radiator cover. I've pulled mine to R&R the raxiom POS headlights whenever they stopped working, as well as when I put my retrofitted OEM headlights, the foglights and spoiler on my car. I can do it in about 15 minutes. You may want to get a pair of OEMs or aftermarket headlights if you do not want to go the HID route, however. Try a spray bottle with alcohol and an air can after you remove your bulbs to cleanup your headlight covers without prying them apart first.