General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help installing remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

I put a Bull Dog remote starter for $49.99 on my GFs car.... big mistake. First off, even though I have extensive experience with automotive wiring, it was a major pain in the ***... even with good instructions.

I got it all hooked up and it worked perfectly for about 2 years, then one day when she used it, the starter decided it wanted to keep cranking the enigne even though it had fired up... my guess was a relay stuck. Anyway, being a female and only about a mile from the house, she just jumped in and drove it home with the starter still engaged with the flywheel and spinng away.

She called me from her phone and I was waiting in the driveway... could hear her coming a block away. lol. As soon as she parked, I popped the hood and pulled the battery cable off. To this day, I can't believe the starter didn't die.... and of course all the remote starter crap was removed immediately. I have never touched one of those pieces of garbage since.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:05 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuart McWilliams
So the pkall manual is saying to make connection to tx and rx of my remote starter. Not seeing anything labeled as that on my starter. Which one is it?
That would be to the unit itself, not from the car.
Tx = Transmit
Rx = Receive

http://the12volt.com
Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by capri debris
I put a Bull Dog remote starter for $49.99 on my GFs car.... big mistake. First off, even though I have extensive experience with automotive wiring, it was a major pain in the ***... even with good instructions.

I got it all hooked up and it worked perfectly for about 2 years, then one day when she used it, the starter decided it wanted to keep cranking the enigne even though it had fired up... my guess was a relay stuck. Anyway, being a female and only about a mile from the house, she just jumped in and drove it home with the starter still engaged with the flywheel and spinng away.

She called me from her phone and I was waiting in the driveway... could hear her coming a block away. lol. As soon as she parked, I popped the hood and pulled the battery cable off. To this day, I can't believe the starter didn't die.... and of course all the remote starter crap was removed immediately. I have never touched one of those pieces of garbage since.
You will have a hard time finding shops that will install them as well since they do not last.

REally not sure what you are having issues with now to tell you the truth. pkall? as he said Tx is common abbreviation for transmitter and Rx for reciever.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

I went ahead and jumped on this project now. Here's a link to the bypass instructions. It show Purple/White going to TX and Yellow/Black going to RX. I can't find the four pin connector for them!! I really needing help now...All I'm needing to do is get this bypass wired. I get how to install the actual starter

Last edited by Stuart McWilliams; 06-01-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

I think you should seriously re-think this. I dare you to find a positive post about bulldog systems in any forum dealing with after-market car electronics. They tend to have something fail after a short while even if you got what you should have to start with, and could figure out how to get it installed correctly, as their tech support is pretty much a turd-churner.

Things might have changed with them a bit since they(JBC Technologies) went out of business in 07', then were bought a bit later by Access 2 Communications, but I'm kinda doubting it. Just a 2 second search in http://the12volt.com 's forum should clue you in as to just how big a fiasco this company has been over the years.

...But the good news, the pkall should be ok as a secure PATS interface for a decent alarm/rs...

Should you be insistant to shoot your foot:
Both at PATS transceiver near ignition cylinder.
Code:
Anti Theft RX - GRAY/ORANGE
Anti Theft TX - WHITE/LIGHT GREEN
This here is the service manuals wiring diagram. That will give the PATS overview wiring for our 05-09's. I'd familiarize yourself with many of those, pretty much anything you want to know is shared in those service manuals for our cars, free of charge.

Last edited by wayne613; 06-02-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Aaaaand one last question (I think), the blue/white wire that goes to "(-) while running", what exactly am I connecting it to? Is it just any ground?

Edit: the bypass and rs both have wires going to the ignition wire. I'm assuming connect them both to the ignition?

Last edited by Stuart McWilliams; 06-03-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:29 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Did you view the icon definitions at the bottom of page 1 of your linked pdf for the pkall?

Connect wire to Remote-Starter/Alarm
Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Did you view the icon definitions at the bottom of page 1 of your linked pdf for the pkall?
Ah, I see that. I'm assuming to the Ignition (-) of my remote starter, the one that states output to security module?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Yes, as in connected to "White - Neg out when running" as stated in the RS1200series manual.

That RS1200series from what I went over has no D2D port(rs232), so the only connection from the pkall to the RS is that one wire. The pkall will have to have the D2D cable cut, then blue wire put to constant 12v, black to ground, and the other 2 taped off or removed. The remaining RS1200series ignition, etc lines all have to be run separately in addition to the pkall/xpresskit's. The pkall is only acting as the bypass to let the RS function, that's all.

The above, by the way, turns the passive anti-theft system into a stealing candy from a baby system. Since that single line going to ground is all that is necessary to bypass it after programming the pkall without the D2D/RS232 line. Not that having it would make it that much harder, but it would add a couple of minor steps.

Although, I assume, depending on where specifcially in Nebraska you are, the likelyhood of someone taking advantage is slim to none, unless there are some seriously clever cows around.

Last edited by wayne613; 06-04-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

I just had a shop take off the remote on my wife's car. It was never perfect but Its was a bitch when it start messing up.

With every single response negative towards these POS remote starters you are ignoring the advice you seek, so why ask?

Well, best of luck N E way. Your gonna need it.

Last edited by FrostByte; 06-04-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: yes

Quick Reply: Need help installing remote starter