General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear end grinding noise...thanks jiffy lube

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Zombiebrew
1st Gear Member

Default Rear end grinding noise...thanks jiffy lube

So i am currently locally deployed doing a training mission. I brought my 66 mustang. I knew i needed and oil change and haven't had time at home so i figured i would just have it done during my trip. I have the 5.0 and T-5 from an 87 mustang in it. The guy checked the rear differential fluid and said it was bad. He drained and refilled. No metal chunks but a bunch of filings. He said he replaced it with 75-90 synthetic. Now i have a grinding at low speeds while turning.........what the F! How do i fix this? Is this somehow Jiffy Lubes fault?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Immediately take it back.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Clutch chatter from the wrong lube in a posi?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

If you have posi then more than likely it needs friction modifier added to the gear oil. Go to your local ford dealers parts desk and they should have it on stock. Its a very common issue with these quick change places as they dont carry friction modifiers. Their books only show what filters to use, what oils etc.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Fords term is "limited slip differential"... if you have one of these, you need to add friction modifier to the gear lube. If you already have clutch pack chatter, it may be too late... best thing to do is add the modifier and hope it takes care of the problem, if it doesn't, you need to have the lube shop cover the cost of a clutch pack replacement since it was their fault.

Last edited by capri debris; 05-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 PM
chemoman

I know nothing about your problem, but I do know JL stood behind an engine they neglected to tighten the oil filter on for me once. Blew all to pieces!
They need to be aware of the issue ASAP. In my case they sent out an inspector to make a judgement.
BTW that was the last time I ever used them.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Zombiebrew
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone i'll give them a call today! I appreciate the help.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Zombiebrew
1st Gear Member

So i went to jiffy lube and the put the friction modifier in. I drove it a little but haven't had the chance to really go to a parking lot and do figure 8's. On the way home i noticed it doesn't grind when turning left....only when turning right at low speeds. So what do i do? Is it still the differential just the lube hasn't worked it's way in....or is it something bigger?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Why did they check your rear diff fluid when you took it in for an engine oil change anyway? Did you authorize that service to be done?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Zombiebrew
1st Gear Member

they said they would check it to see if it was in good condition. It was dark and had some metal flakes so they suggested to flush it. I said okay.....hindsight.....get some jack stands......just do stuff myself.....using this webise for help.

Quick Reply: Rear end grinding noise...thanks jiffy lube