General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help an Aussie identify this differential? Please? :D

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Rollin4Litre

Default Help an Aussie identify this differential? Please? :D

Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help me out here, or let me know where I should go to ask.

I have a 1994 ED Falcon and a fairly recently purchased 1992 EB Falcon. Years ago I bought a second hand assembled diff for the ED which had a locker center in it. I think it's a Richmond or Powertrax center - it uses the factory side gears with the aftermarket centre.

I have to figure out what American car the diff centers in my cars are also used in so I can get another for the EB...I've googled my little heart out and I can't find anything that really helps. The closest I can find is that I think it might be used in some GM cars and called a 9 bolt?? I hope not :/

In Australia we call them Borg Warner 78 diffs, they are a 4 pinion design, and as you can see, they use 9 bolts to hold the rear cover plate on...

The rear cover plate uses sealant rather than a gasket and looks like these - the top middle and lower right hand side holes are for the dowels to centralise and support the rear cover, as the watts linkage is bolted to it.

And an open wheel center looks like this:

From the outside:

A company over here sell 'lock right lokkas' for them which look like the one below:

But they aren't very good. I'm looking for a locker that has a 'middle part' that looks like the right hand side part of this pic (the left hand side part is the factory side gear which engages it):

Does anyone have any ideas on what American Fords (if any) would have used this center?

This is the one with the good diff in it - unfortunately both cars are off the road at the moment and looking very sorry for themselves

Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Rollin4Litre

Also:

1: I can't find the "EDIT" button.

2: The above centres are also fitted to comparable model year Holden Commodores and early R31 model Skylines, and the ratios that are readily available are 3.08, 3.23, 3.27, 3.45, 3.73, 3.91, and 4.11, just in case it helps.