General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What Is It?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 AM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Talking What Is It?

Hey fellow Mustang fans. I just bought an '08 Mustang GT & before I bought it I was crawling under looking for frame damage & I found a black box mounted under the trunk area. It's about 12" long, 10" wide & 2" thick. It has a 1/2" hard line going in to it, a 1/2" plastic or rubber line, and a wireing loom all connected to it. I asked the owner what it was but he didn't know. What is this thing & what does it do? Can I relocate it into the trunk where it won't show or just take it off before it gets ripped off on a speed bump :-)
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I'm probably wrong, but maybe it's the security system for the wireless remotes, etc...? Can you take a pic of it?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your reply. I could take a pic but I don't know how to enter pics into my computer. Also I just joined this site yesterday & they won't let me post pics or attachments yet anyway.
I took the cover off of it today & it looks like an ECU of some sort. It says FoMoCo on it & one of the plastic lines says "vent" on it. Could this be something for the fuel tanks? Possibly the controll unit for the transfer pump to route fuel between the 2 fuel tanks?
I looked for a part number but don't find one.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Is this what you are talking about?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:52 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Yep, that's it!! WTH is it anyway?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Dont know, just that my car has one also.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:25 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

That is a homeland security tracking device. It will shut down your car if you try to run. Now you got to be quiet about it, you were not suppose to find it.

All seriousness I have no idea.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I think it's the vent canister for the gas tank. GM used to use something similar to that. It will fill up with dirt and throw a code if you live on dirt roads.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
That is a homeland security tracking device. It will shut down your car if you try to run. Now you got to be quiet about it, you were not suppose to find it.

All seriousness I have no idea.
ha ha, it wouldn't surprise me. I heard that the NHTSA wants to put data loggers & GPS on all our cars so in the event of an accident they can just hook up & download exactly what we were doing before the wreck. How fast you were driving, how fast your shifts were, an accelerometer to see just how fast you got to that speed etc. Big government just SUCKS. Can't have any fun anymore.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Katie
ha ha, it wouldn't surprise me. I heard that the NHTSA wants to put data loggers & GPS on all our cars so in the event of an accident they can just hook up & download exactly what we were doing before the wreck. How fast you were driving, how fast your shifts were, an accelerometer to see just how fast you got to that speed etc. Big government just SUCKS. Can't have any fun anymore.
our cars have been able to tell you that since they started using obdII in cars. Its actually pretty cool.