General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

shifting tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 10:43 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default RE: shifting tips?

just a little off topic here, hows the power in your s281? my engine is outta an 01 s281, and i got a series 2 blower im gonna install over winter. how much boost is yours running at? as for shifting, my car shifts perfectly when i really floor it, its wierd.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:27 PM
downwardspiral
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96stang

That's not it. It has to do with using your heel on the clutch and toes on the break when your downshifting to slow you down but while your doing that you try to match the revs when you downshift. Using the heel of your hand. lol.
what is the point of that? i just downshift and use the brake, and I stop just fine.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:14 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Heel-toeing is using your Left foot on the clutch, using your heel of your right foot to brake, and your toes on your right foot to throttle.
If you're on any sort of road course racing, this helps keep the RPMs up while downshifting, while you're braking to go into a corner.

The reason for this, when you're running road races, you should be braking and turning at just about 100% of your traction, so if you just jam the shifter into a lower gear, the engine braking would cause the rear wheels to lock up, and you'd be out of business.

Combined with double clutching, it makes for some real smooth turns and downshifts
Old 11-23-2005, 06:21 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

just like above its is mainly used for road race applications. when in a road race you always want to be in gear before entering the coner, and you never brake in the corner cuz thats when u get all squirly. so you gatta downshift and brake at the same time. if you ever come across a video of a road racers feet when doing this, it is amazing. they do it so fast and perfect. heal toeing works better at higher RPMs.

when the NASCAR circut gets to the road race tracks they sometimes put a camera in Terri Labonties car pionting at his feet. very interesting and mind blowing if you dont know how to drive stick.

lets say your in 5ft coming up to a corner(hauling ***), you start to brake. now its time to down shift to set up for the corner. you throw in the clutch, put er' in 4th, take your toes off the brake leaving the heal on the brake, and tape the gas to match the revs up to the correct PRM so the engine matches the speed of the rest of the drive train. and let off the clutch.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:59 AM
downwardspiral
1st Gear Member

awesome, now I'm gonna blow up my tranny trying to learn how to do this. Oh and double clutching is...?
Old 11-24-2005, 02:24 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: downwardspiral

awesome, now I'm gonna blow up my tranny trying to learn how to do this. Oh and double clutching is...?
...not necessary because of lighter transmissions and synchronizers, but:

While shifting through neutral, letting go of the clutch so the engine slows down to match the speed of the new gear better so the shift is more smooth.

Lets say you're in second gear, going to third and are going to double clutch. You get to your top speed in second, push the clutch in and push the shifter up into neutral, now you let go of the clutch for about half a second, press it back in, go up into third, then let go of the clutch again.

Seems pointless with synchronizers because they match the speeds up for you, but if you didn't have them, this is what you would need to do, what a hassle.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:29 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

some people also call powershifting, double clutching. double clutching is completly usless with trannies these days, very old cars and truck had to do it.

and power shifting is not taking you foot off the gas while shifting, and just railing it into gear. very fast but if you miss, your going to redline.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:13 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

That's true about the double clutching, but i've found that it helps make smoother downshifts, could just be that the engine in the RSX type S that i drive has very low rotating mass, but if i downshift and rev match and drop the clutch out without double clutching, it gets a little jerky
Old 11-24-2005, 08:30 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

wtf is the point of downshifting? Its just waisting more gas, Just put it into neutral and use the brakes.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:38 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XbcSharpShooter

wtf is the point of downshifting? Its just waisting more gas, Just put it into neutral and use the brakes.
Like we said before... road racing circuits, or if you feel like making a turn and powering out of it... instead of braking, turning, then shifting into gear and accelerating, overall it makes for a smoother turn

Quick Reply: shifting tips?