General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

shifting tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 06:04 PM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: shifting tips?

ORIGINAL: downwardspiral
now I'm gonna blow up my tranny trying to learn how to do this.
hahaha me too. actually stickshifty's explanation was excellent, thanks alot. are there any online videos i could watch to get an even better understanding? it sound fascinating.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:13 PM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana
hows the power in your s281?
the power is great. it dynoed at 290 stock and i added a BBK 75mm TB and got 6.5 rwhp. -it was humid the day i dynod anyway. ive actually got the series II blower in my car, i know that the series I and series II are both eaton roots models. by the way, 296.5 rwhp is a blessing with my setup.

going on with a few months: sc pully, plugs, boots, headers, catback, x pipe and gears

going on later in the future is: heads and/or cams.

im hoping to get a solid grip on the 400 rwhp mark.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:15 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

you should really have to "downshift" like they are talking about during normal street driving. if you are coming to a stop light just put it in neutral and slow down and if it happens to turn green before you stop, pick the right gear (experience will help you decide which one) give the throttle a tap to raise the rpms (sometimes you may not have to do this depending on what speed you are going) and let out the clutch. after practice and experience you will learn what speeds go with wich gears at certain rpms and if you need to blip the throttle when shifting into a low gear.

i usually shift at 2500 rpms. just fyi
Old 11-27-2005, 04:22 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: M1ke

you should really have to "downshift" like they are talking about during normal street driving. if you are coming to a stop light just put it in neutral and slow down and if it happens to turn green before you stop, pick the right gear (experience will help you decide which one) give the throttle a tap to raise the rpms (sometimes you may not have to do this depending on what speed you are going) and let out the clutch. after practice and experience you will learn what speeds go with wich gears at certain rpms and if you need to blip the throttle when shifting into a low gear.

i usually shift at 2500 rpms. just fyi
Addition to this: Don't hold the clutch in instead of putting it in neutral unless you want to be replacing your throwout bearing relatively soon. Just put it in neutral and keep your foot over the clutch instead of keeping it pressed down. I have heard that in some states it is illegal to be out of gear when coming up to a stop light but this seems very retarded to me, plus, how is the cop who is going to pull you over for it going to be able to tell?

I shift up at 2200 RPM, downshift at 1200 RPM.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:57 PM
downwardspiral
1st Gear Member

I tried the heel toe business, and i didnt have enough room to actually use my heel, but I got it down by using the area of my foot under my toes on both pedals and just kind of rocked it on the edge of the brake pedal to keep the rpm up, it is very smooth. Its almost like driving with the choke on.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:54 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XbcSharpShooter

wtf is the point of downshifting? Its just waisting more gas, Just put it into neutral and use the brakes.
i guess what u descibed could be considered incorrect. The engine is supposed to help slow the car down, downshifting or not. You'd want to leave it in gear for as long as possible and then push in the clutch obviously before it stalls while using the brake...
Old 11-28-2005, 02:28 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

yea, according to the law, your always supposed to be in gear, never coasting. but down shifting doesnt really waste gas, your just using the compression of the engine to slow you down, the only gas waisted is the blip of the trottle, if you even blip it.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:47 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

also some smarta$$es will slow down by downshifting and using the gears instead of the break. very stupid, it is hard on the gears and you tranny wont last long
Old 11-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

for the people saying that downshifting is dumb/pointless, umm why do race car drivers do it? why do truck drivers do it, oh yeah if you go to get a job driving a truck and you push the clutch in and put it in neutral and just use the brake, well guess what your not getting the job, if you cant downshift then you cant drive so if i was you and i drove a stick i would learn, now im going to go try heel toe braking, i have done it before but i need to work on it lol
Old 11-28-2005, 11:44 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: M1ke

also some smarta$$es will slow down by downshifting and using the gears instead of the break. very stupid, it is hard on the gears and you tranny wont last long

soooo i guess im a smartass, i dont see anything wrong with downshifting at all, just blip the gas to match up the rpms. It's no worse then hard acceration, when you get on the gas you are putting stress on the gears, correct???????

Quick Reply: shifting tips?