General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Strut Tower Brace Bolt Torque

Old 10-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Craigotron

Default Strut Tower Brace Bolt Torque

I've seen this question float around on the forums a bit, and I have found an answer. Figured I'd share and add to the knowledge base. This applies (at least) to 2013's, probably any of the Mustangs with the same strut tower configuration.

I was having a slow afternoon in the office and was going to install a strut tower brace when I got home. Since there really isn't much in the way of documentation and I was wondering what the proper torque rating for the bolts was (was it a specific setting or the German style 'goodentite'?) I got on the phone and tracked down a Ford Racing tech at a dealership around here. Here's what I found out:

- The strut tower bolts should be single use. I got a set of 4 at a parts counter no big deal.
- Straight from the tech after he looked it up: 26 lb/ft.

Mystery solved!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Craigotron
I've seen this question float around on the forums a bit, and I have found an answer. Figured I'd share and add to the knowledge base. This applies (at least) to 2013's, probably any of the Mustangs with the same strut tower configuration.

I was having a slow afternoon in the office and was going to install a strut tower brace when I got home. Since there really isn't much in the way of documentation and I was wondering what the proper torque rating for the bolts was (was it a specific setting or the German style 'goodentite'?) I got on the phone and tracked down a Ford Racing tech at a dealership around here. Here's what I found out:

- The strut tower bolts should be single use. I got a set of 4 at a parts counter no big deal.
- Straight from the tech after he looked it up: 26 lb/ft.

Mystery solved!
Rule #1-NEVER put a torque wrench in the unsupervised hands of someone who's never used one!!

So how do i know when to stop?
you will know...it will "click"
"click-click" "click-click" "click-click"
"SNAP"
What was that!?
I don't know!?
D@mn DUDE! you snapped the strut bolt right off!! Didn't you hear it click???
Yes...but you didn't say "HOW MANY!"