General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default Best snow tires

OK.. I've decided to go ahead & drive the 'stang right thru the winter, instead of getting a POS winter beater car.. I figure if I got a cheap "winter beater" car for the snow season it will just wind up becoming a money pit, so take my chances with the Stang instead..

I'm gonna get some snow tires & steel rims to replace my Bullitt rims & rubber.. Question is. what do you think is the best brand & size of winter snow tire should I get?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:56 PM
83beast
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best snow tires

if your not worried about money, id go with Nokian Hakkapeliittas. from everyone up hea in the great noth woods, thats the unanimus choice.
http://www.nokiantyres.com/wintertyres_en
Old 09-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

I've done well with Dunlop Wintersport M3s.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:59 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I have a set of pirelli snows but you will be fine with any REAL snow tire. Just make sure it is a dedicated snow/ice tire and not some sh1tty all season tire.

Personally, I would go buy a set of 16" rims and get some 215/60s or something like that - i have no idea what size - just get whatever fits the rim and doesn't look TOO dorky on your car. Even Wal Mart or anybody's generic snow tires are decent enough.

Again, I would like to stress the importance of getting a SNOW tire and avoiding the all season compromise types.

You will be fine. Mine is good in the snow with a manual and 4.10s and you have a tad more weight because you are a vert.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:39 AM
rtpassini

im probably picking up a 94 mustang gt for my winter car and also will need some winter tires.
do you people recommened some just for the rear? or front ones also?
ive searched and read everyone saying how bad these cars are in the winter, but i think its just bad driving on their part and they are exagerating.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Lasered01
1st Gear Member

I was worried about the snow tire situation when I bought my '01 and was very surprised to see that the car I was looking at had these big fat Daytona ZR's on it, P275/40ZR17 on the rear and 245/45ZR17's up front. To my surprise they were rated M/S! These tires have performed well in very heavy rain and on snowy roads. (We had 3'-5' of snow here in Northern Nevada last winter but, I drove my F-250 during the worst of it.)) I was worried about hydroplaning but have been in a couple of extreme downpours and the car handled nicely.

It all depends on how you drive and the kind of road that your on. (I do highway and in-town driving on decent roads.) One thing for sure is the so called "Traction Control" sucks!

I went up to Lake Tahoe to check out a job, met another guy and parked my car...when we came back there was 2-3 inches of new snow on the road. I pulled out of the lot that I was at and had to head up hill for about a half mile. I had the traction control on and all I could do was go sideways, couldn't even get up to 15 MPH and sideways...cars are wizzing by me as I'm trying to keep it out of the side of the mountain and all I can do is go sideways! I reached down, turned off the traction control and immediately straightened out and off I went.

You definitely need a tire rated for snow up front as well as in the rear.

If you are not used to driving on slick roads then I suggest that you go find a nice, big, EMPTY, parking lot that is covered with snow and find out how your car handles and what it takes to get stopped. Everything you do driving in ice and snow has to be slow and easy; any quick moves and you could wind up off the road or into another car. Find out how your car handles and maintain a lot of space between you and other cars. Also, there's a fine line between driving too fast and too slow. If you're driving too slow you become a detriment to others on the road. Once you know how your car is going react all you have to do is watch out for the other guy!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:06 PM
rtpassini

ive lived in wisconsin my whole life (21 years) so i know about snow
but thanks for all the advice so far.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:30 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

I use the regular ole tires on my stang for winter and I get around fine. However, the snow here isn't AS bad as up north, and if it's really treacherous out, I just won't go to school or work, or make someone else drive me.

Stangs get along fine in the snow, you just have to be a careful driver and not an idiot.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

i ended up set of studded tires on an set of old rims that i put on for the three days a year that we have snow and ice here.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:29 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

when i lived up north i used studded snow tires and put a lot of extra weight in the back sand bags would work nice also.

Quick Reply: Best snow tires