General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 10-20-2015, 10:46 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Fuse causing battery to drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks

Default 2000 Ford Mustang Battery Drain

Our Mustang has been draining much like the stories on here. Fuse 39 and the GEM module are the problem. After disconnecting nearly everything and testing with a meter my husband found one of the amplifiers of the Mach sound system in the trunk to be the problem. May be a good place for others to check first...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

The amps not always switching off correctly is a known semi-common issue with many of the higher end factory systems in the 'stang.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 PM
kmod_98

Default 1998 Mustang GT Keyless Entry Draining the Battery.

Ok, So I am new to this forum, and am very ignorant when it comes to my car, especially electric issues, but wanted to put my question out there.

I have a 98 mustang gt. The Battery has been draining, and it will only start when jumped. The problem started about two weeks ago, then it was fine for a week, then this past week it started doing it again, i.e. not starting unless it is jumped.

I took it to my usual mechanic today who narrowed it down to the keyless entry and/or radio was draining the battery. I know the radio is having issues, there is a electric hum noise sometimes which gets louder when I give it gas. also, it looks like at one point there was a speaker system or radio put into the car, but now the stock radio is back in, but there are still exposed wires in the back see/trunk. Also the fuse for the radio keeps blowing.

My mechanic cant go any further, so I know I basically need to take it to someone who can work on electrical issues.

But I was wondering if the issue was a short in the keyless entry or radio, how would I fix that?
I plan to remove the radio, but not sure beyond that what I can do?
Thanks in advanced for any help.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:54 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kmod_98
But I was wondering if the issue was a short in the keyless entry or radio, how would I fix that?
Yes, a parasitic battery drain is a short to ground somewhere. You could just pull the fuse for the radio instead of pulling the entire radio.
If you don’t have much electronic know-how, I’d find a good mechanic who can diagnose and fix electrical problems. You could try to double check the original mechanics findings using the steps in the link on my second post. Its pretty straight forward.

Good luck...
Old 02-10-2022, 12:48 AM
Daviesnikolas7

Originally Posted by kmod_98
Ok, So I am new to this forum, and am very ignorant when it comes to my car, especially electric issues, but wanted to put my question out there.

I have a 98 mustang gt. The Battery has been draining, and it will only start when jumped. The problem started about two weeks ago, then it was fine for a week, then this past week it started doing it again, i.e. not starting unless it is jumped.

I took it to my usual mechanic today who narrowed it down to the keyless entry and/or radio was draining the battery. I know the radio is having issues, there is a electric hum noise sometimes which gets louder when I give it gas. also, it looks like at one point there was a speaker system or radio put into the car, but now the stock radio is back in, but there are still exposed wires in the back see/trunk. Also the fuse for the radio keeps blowing.

My mechanic cant go any further, so I know I basically need to take it to someone who can work on electrical issues.

I plan to remove the radio, but not sure beyond that what I can do?
Thanks in advanced for any help.
I'm having same exact problem making me crazy !!!
Old 10-16-2023, 07:16 PM
treveeneo

Default 2000 Mustang V6 3.8 L Stalling

Mustang is stalling. Sometimes it won’t start. No lights, nothing. Other times it starts lights flickering. It revs up sometimes for just turning on the headlights. Sometimes it stalls on the road