General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TOP END KNOCK/NO BRAKES

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:16 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

Default TOP END KNOCK/NO BRAKES

i need some help quick ...

heres what happened ... ive been messing with my timing for a few days trying to find the sweet spot... i drove it for a little bit with timing way too retarded being that i never took out the spout connector before timing and that just threw me all off...

now it is set at 15 btdc all of a sudden today i heard a bad top end knock right about the intake manifold.... i set the timing to factory 10* and still went on... actually the car would stall at 10* (my signtaure has my mods)

i went and changed the oil right away figuring i was running low.. now im full on oil and its still occurring..

its actually loud then softens then faintly goes away and repeats....

i took the car for a ride and noticed very choppy driving, it would buck while either giving some gas or coasting.....

then i noticed while coming to a stop the brakes wouldnt depress.... (it felt as if the car was off) until the car finally came to a stop....

i figure its a vaccumm leak somewhere but would that make my car run and sound like i said?

Note: i always use 93 octane fuel and the motor was rebuilt and modded about 2500 miles ago

PLEASE HELP
Old 10-03-2005, 04:12 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TOP END KNOCK/NO BRAKES

forgot to add...... the car will start then run at 500 rpm sputter and die... it takes about 3 tries to get it to stay on....
Old 10-03-2005, 04:19 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

pull your plugs out see what they look like...all your vac. hoses hooked up in the back???hope you arn't spinning your cam bearings,but you will no this if your oil pressure is lower than norm...could of dropped a valve too??but that noise would sound really bad and canstant.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:33 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

Sht man dont freak me out like that..... although i do appreciate the input...

i had a 95 thunderbird 4.6 supercharged with a 2001 mustang GT motor.... custom everything inside and out....

the motor went on me twice.... once 5 months after i bought the car then after 6 months of repairing (yes i know its a long time) it blew 2 months later..... i dont know what ill do if its something internally..

are all the vac. lines attached to the firewall on the driver side? right by the brake fluid resivuoir? because those are all hooked up i dont know about the other ends though....

the weird thing is that the brakes fail while coming to a stop... the pedal just freezes as if the car was off....

but do you know if the knocking would be a result of vacumme leak? because my vac guage is reading low.... i gotta go check the oil pressure now it is usually 60 psi cold.... then about 45-50 hot depending on how much throttle of course

Old 10-03-2005, 04:42 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

didn't mean to freak you out....look at it this way when you find the problem you'll feel alot better about this.....anyway's if your pressure is 40-60 then that motor is in very good shape...you did reming me of something though does your car knock less when it's warmed up???you could have an intake leak in the back,and that will throw your brakes off like they are dead....
Old 10-03-2005, 05:17 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

well thats good news.... my car is always constant temp and oil pressure... 180* and 60psi cold, and between 45-50 hot....

my car actually started runinng crappy when i put my new mass air sensor on.. yes it was converted to maf...

i had a stock 55mm calibrated for 19lb injectors on and it ran good even though i have 24lb injectors...

i put the new 75mm 24# mass air sensor and it ran very rough.... i figured since i increased airflow id have to adjust fuel pressure and timing, i ended up with 40psi fuel and timing at what i thought was 13* turns out i never took out the spout connector and the timing was actually at about 5*btdc im not dure if this is what may have caused this? i have been messing with the timing for about 2 days putting it to all different degrees between 10 and 16 (after i realized about the spout)

now this happened, i rarely beat on this car since the motors supposedly only got 2500 miles on it .... ive changed the oil religously .... ive had the car for mabey 1500 miles and ive changed the oil 4 times!!! its pratically crystal when i drain it, better safe then sorry... but here we go again,

i take meticulous car of my car and it craps on me.... at least i hope it didnt and its somthing simple..

im going to go check all my plugs and wires make sure of no fouling or arking of any sort then i will get back here

as of what you have already informed me of THANKS FOR THE HELP!! anything else would be awsome too
Old 10-03-2005, 05:33 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

one more thing TAKE THAT SPOUT OUT WHEN YOU CHECK YOUR TIMING!!!!! you probably got it way out....i remember talking to you yesterday about the mass air....your fuel pressure is dead on i wouldn't go no less till you get it tuned.also make sure your balancer is in good shape,and marked right.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:39 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

yeah i realized that after i read a few forums that talked about the spout connector, thank god i caught that ....

i have plugs 1-4 out going on to the other side now.... all seem fine a little oil on 2 of the plugs threads perfect on the copper..... i cant remember how to do a compression test while they are out i might as well

it is take out all the plugs screw in the tester and crank the car over a few times right? please correct me if im wrong i will be back in like 10 mins when the plugs are out
Old 10-03-2005, 05:44 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

just make sure you ground the coil wire to block somewhere...your #'s should be 7%of each other since it is a fresh motor...tell me what they are,cause i want to compare mine.....which were 155 t0 160.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:00 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

what do you mean ground the coil wire to block? you mean take the negative wire thats connected to my coil pack and have it touch the frame or something? im gonna wait till you let me know what you mean by grounding it.... id rather not mess up now everything is out and damn i must be crazy... 4 am and im doing a compression test.....

yeahh ill definetly let you know what the numbers are when im done then im going to a shrink ..haha

cars are an addiction..... an addiction some never understand... such as women

Quick Reply: TOP END KNOCK/NO BRAKES