General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2006 Mustang V6 Idle issues. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 PM
2K6V6PONY

Default 2006 Mustang V6 Idle issues. Help!

I made a video better describing \ showing what's been going on. I hope somebody can help me. I'm getting frustrated lol.

For the past few weeks my 2006 mustang v6 has been encountering a rough idle almost like its misfiring. I can hear a ticking and hissing sound from the drivers side of the motor down by the exhaust header. I also smell what I think is exhaust gasses around that area. I cant see any cracks in the header or anything. Also the it feels like the car is backfiring. This only happens when the engine is warmed up and idle. When I accelerate I can still hear the hissing and ticking sound but I don't feel any misfire and no codes are being thrown. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Has the fuel filter been replaced recently?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 PM
2K6V6PONY

Honestly I don't think its ever been replaced. The car has 94k miles on it. I did run some Lucas fuel system treatment through it a few weeks ago to see if it would help and it didn't really make much of a difference.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I agree with edwin, replace the fuel filter first. But few questions, is that intake tune required or tuneless? I would also say clean the throttlebody with some cleaner, as a wandering/rough idle is characteristic of a dirty TB and grimy butterfly valve.

Let us know if any of that helps, I can't really hear anything from the headers (cheap computer speakers), but are you positive it's not just your fuel injectors? They tend to make very loud ticking noises compared to most cars.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:30 AM
2K6V6PONY

I cleaned out the throttle body and cleaned the mass air flow sensor and that didn't help. Tried that a few days ago. That BBK Cold air intake has been on the car since last summer and has caused no issues. I just checked americanmuscle where I got it from and it says no tune required. http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-2005-v6-cai.html

As for the ticking \ hissing sound yeah its very apparent and wasn't there before. As I rev the car up and can hear it getting faster and louder. Its very strange. Could one of my new spark plugs not be in all of the way? I would smell fuel if that were the case though right? not exhaust gasses?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 AM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

You could try a power balance test to determine which cylinder is misfiring:

Does it misfire under hard acceleration or just idle?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 AM
2K6V6PONY

Only at idle after the motor warms up for a few minutes. Under hard acceleration ive had absolutely no problems. Of course I have to get the weird issue! lol. I am going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow to see if it fixes the idle issue. I will let you guys know if it helps. Beyond that im positive the exhaust leak or whatever it is that's ticking\hissing by the plugs and header on drivers side of motor is an entirely separate issue. That started happening just a few days ago.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

The ticking/hissing is probably just an exhaust leak. To verify, reproduce the problem, put some soapy water in a squirt bottle and soak the exhaust manifold and its gasket. If there is an exhaust leak you will see bubbles form.

I doubt the fuel filter will help your idle issue. You probably have a vacuum leak, dirty MAF sensor or the IAC valve is sticking.

btw, since this thread is video happy, here is a good one on finding exhaust leaks with the technique I described above:

Good luck...
Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 PM
2K6V6PONY

I appreciate the advice! I will give this a shot tomorrow to see if I can track it down. I haven't been able to replace the fuel filter yet. It was a rainy day here in Richmond, VA Hopefully sometime this week.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
2K6V6PONY

Ok, so I replaced the fuel filter today. It looks like it might have helped a little bit but did not cure the rough idle problem completely. I also have a strategy 87 octane tune on it now to accommodate my bbk cold air intake and dual exhaust conversion.

Next on the agenda is to track down this exhaust leak I suppose. Would that cause rough idle too?

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang V6 Idle issues. Help!