General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Code scanner for trouble shooting?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM
slowmotion

Default Code scanner for trouble shooting?

Hello, A semi new mustang owner here. I just picked up a 94 GT about 2 weeks ago. It has been running good other than a slight rough idle. 2 days ago. I went out to drive the car and it would not start. I tried numerous times through out the day with the same senerio, no starting. It just cranked with out trying to start. I checked the coil for spark and it was a little sporadic. Like if I was checking a spark plug wire. Yesterday, I went out and it fired right up and ran fine all day. This morning I am back to it not even trying to start. I put a new cap and rotor on it this morning before trying to start it. I put new plugs in it 4 days ago. Do you think a code scanner would help me out here in reguards as to what is up. I am not a big fan of F.I. cars and this is not helping things. I put a 5.0 AOD in my 65 ranchero. I junked the F.I. on it and run a carb. Wish I could do the same on the mustang. How ever. I will do my best to learn about the F.I system as well.
Any ideas what may be causing this? Once my friend comes over. I will check for spark again. I see it is almost impossible to get to the starter to use a remote on it.
Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

i am little rusty on 5.0. But i believe you have a ignition module,bolted to your dist. That are known to go bad, because of the heat from the engine. I believe 95 has the new OB-II. should be able to use a scanner. More 5.0 people will respond with better ideas.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 PM
slowmotion

Thanks, I went and bought a scanner that reads both OBD 1 and 2. That way I can use it for my mom and sisters cars. I know the 94-95 mustangs are OBD 1. Once it warmed up today. The mustang started right up.So it has me baffled. I have heard about these distributors going bad. I didn't really want to replace it till I knew that was it. If it doesn't start in the morning. I will see if the scanner shows any thing. If worse comes to worse. I will just get a new dist since they are not super expensive.
Thanks again