General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A few 94-95 GT questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 PM
slowmotion

Default A few 94-95 GT questions

I just got a 94 GT and have a few questions. I figure I may as well put them all in one thread than start a bunch of threads.
First off. My car is a 94 5.0 automatic.
I am really happy with the brakes and handling of this guy. I am having a hard time getting used to the lazy acceleration. By that I mean you have to really push the accelerator down quiet a bit for the car to feel like it is reacting. if I am on the freeway at 65 or so. it is worse. I have to push the pedal down close to an inch before you can really feel the car accelerating. I don't know if it is because this is an automatic. Or if it is just how the F.I. is. I have a 86 5.0 in my Ranchero with a AOD that is carbed. It is very responsive at any speed.
If this is normal. Is there any thing I can do to help things out so I feel like I am actually driving a V-8?

Next is the suspension. I have owned a 79 and a 96 mustang before. Both had a reasonably smooth ride to them. I replaced the rear shocks on this car because they were worn out. The back feels fine now. The front feels super stiff. Almost bouncy like a 4x4 with a stiff suspension. Is this normal or do you think maybe some one put gas shocks or some thing up front.
I am enjoying the car so far. It drives great. I got it from an older lady that seemed to take pretty good care of it.
One more thing. Does any one know of a link I could search out for my cruise control. it worked when I bought the car. I had a friend try and recharge the A/C a few days ago. Turns out I need to replace the low pressure line first. It may be coincidences that the c.c. stopped afterwards. I figure the fuse must be ok since it shares with my clock. And it still works.
Anyways. If I can get a couple answers to these questions. I think I can be happy with the car for a while.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Its usually better to have a thread per issue, with an appropriate title. That way the thread doesn’t get jumbled and hard to follow jumping between topics/issues. It also allows people to find the thread easier if it covers a similar problem they are having...

Anyway... Its hard to say what the acceleration issue is. I seriously doubt its an automatic vs manual issue. A tune up would be a good place to start though. Replace engine oil/filter, tranny oil/filter, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter & air cleaner. Clean the MAF & throttle body as well. That is where I would start, especially since the car is new (to you).

Its hard to say what the suspension issue is. Maybe the lower control arm bushings are binding? If the control arm was installed incorrectly its pretty easy for them to bind.

I have no idea on the cruise control issue.

Either way, start a fresh thread on these issues...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 PM
slowmotion

Thanks, I have done all that other than cleaning the MAF and throttle body. I backed the timing down a little and that helped. I have starting issues with it now. Some days it starts. Others it will not. I just bought a new distributor and coil for it. I have read about all the issues others have had with distributors going bad. And coils start to break down after a few years. So even if this is not the issue. I will still be a head of the game later. The way it acts. it sounds like the distributor could be the issue. I will check under the car to see if it looks like any parts have been installed recently in regards to the ride.
Thanks for the tips