General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Default Dash Cam

Anyone use a dash cam? What kind of setup do you have, and what do you use it for?

Ideally I'd like to have a camera turn on automatically with the ignition, but I don't want to run power up from my dash. I'd like to install a power jack in the overhead console.

For now this is what I have. I have to remove it when I'm not parked in a secure location, which is a pain. I have to remember to push the button to start/stop, and to charge the battery and format the memory card every few days, which isn't so bad.

Here's the camera:

Amazon.com: Action Video Camera from Sony HDR-AS10 (Black): SONY: Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Action Video Camera from Sony HDR-AS10 (Black): SONY: Camera & Photo

and the mount:

Amazon.com: Bracketron SWM-400-BL Low Pro Windshield Mount (Black): GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Bracketron SWM-400-BL Low Pro Windshield Mount (Black): GPS & Navigation

I've removed the thingy that tightens the ball in place, because it stays well enough without and I can't rotate the mount far enough with that thing in place. I need to modify the mount so the camera can be attached to it at an angle, so I can use that tightening thingy, because I'm sure that ball will loosen with time.

I tried velcro to attach the camera because I wanted it to be easy to remove. Two problems with this: it isn't easy to remove because I used too much velcro, and the velcro is squishy enough that the camera isn't tight enough. I had to use a broccoli rubber band to tighten it up. This makes it even harder to remove just the camera, so I usually just remove the whole mount.

I plan to try making a magnetic mount, but for now this temporary setup is working. I'm getting good videos. It also makes a decent recording of what's playing on the stereo, but it doesn't record my mumblings very well, which I suppose is for the better.

I'll review this camera more thoroughly some day. The short version is that the camera focuses on what's closest rather than what's in the center of the frame, so the hood of the car is in better focus than the scene. It's more than good enough for insurance purposes, and I may be able to improve it with upward aim, but I'm not currently able to read the license plate of the car in front of me, which is disappointing.

I'll post some stills from the video this weekend.