General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
View Poll Results: What to do?
Fix the car, but one piece at a time as they break
66.67%
Fix the car, and fix everything that might cause a headache in the near future
33.33%
Sell the car, save $$$ and get something cheap and reliable for 5K
0%
Sell the car, go all out and get something good and reliable for 10K
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

03 V6 replace cats or replace car?

Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 AM
mustachio

Default 03 V6 replace cats or replace car?

Hi. I have an '03 V6 with 120K miles. The passenger side cat is busted and needs replacing asap. The part is costly I live in CA so I don't have very many choices for aftermarket. I need to decide whether to replace it.

I've had this car for a year and so far have gotten new tires, a new battery, replaced the clutch, and upgraded the stereo. The piping from the exhaust manifold to the converter cracked a couple months back which I had welded together. It sounds like it's cracking again now, I'm guessing from a combination of the bad converter, aging engine mounts and very overdue shocks.

I have 10K saved in the bank. I'd rather save the money than spend it on another car but I also need a reliable form of transportation for 1.5 more years until I finish grad school. The last time the exhaust cracked I was stranded at home right before an important lecture which I don't want to happen again. Given this scenario, which of the following should I do?

1. Fix the car, but one piece at a time while they break (eg, replace the cat first and leave everything else for now). Cost: About $500

2. Fix the car, and fix everything that might cause me a headache in the near future (eg, replace both cats and maybe the cracked pipe, and maybe the engine mounts and shocks) Cost: Anywhere from $1000 - $2000 including labor.

3. Sell the car, and get something cheap and reliable for 5K (SAVE $$$)

4. Sell the car, and get something newer and reliable for 10K (PEACE OF MIND)

For the latter 2 options there's also the question of what to get. I would seriously think twice about replacing a Mustang for a Camry as a DD. I'm 30 btw so insurance isn't an issue. Any other input would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...ed-9804v6.html

Pypes true dual exhuast kit for 769.00 you get all new exhaust with cats; bolts right up to exhaust manifolds.

thats what id do. then also engine mounts and shocks..
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 PM
mustachio

Originally Posted by TomKat
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...ed-9804v6.html

Pypes true dual exhuast kit for 769.00 you get all new exhaust with cats; bolts right up to exhaust manifolds.

thats what id do. then also engine mounts and shocks..
Would you happen to know if these are CA legal?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:37 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

On a scale of 1 to 10 (one sucking and ten being mint condition), how would you rate your car right now? Do you like having it or are you spending more money than the car is worth?

My suggestion is if you feel it's all about to fall apart and needs major work - get away while you can. I say that as a person who has turned too many Mustangs into a money pit. If it's in good shape and you like the car, look at spending a little to keep it nice.

If you do buy a new(er) car, my suggestion would be don't spend everything you have on it. Find something solid that leaves some "just in case" money in the bank. That will give you a cushion is something unseen pops up with the new car.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I’d say there is a 5th option. Fix the motor & tranny mounts, rubber exhaust hangers, shocks and the cracked pipe (without replacing the cat). Unless the cat is cracked or has a bunch of gunk in it, it doesn’t need to be replaced. Just fix the crack in the pipe going to it. Your exhaust hangers may also be shot and letting the exhaust bounce around more then they should resulting in too much stress on the pipe & ultimately cracks.

Good luck...
Old 06-16-2013, 09:41 AM
mustachio

I'm leaning towards selling the car. The mounts, shocks and the pipe will cost me about $500, which I can afford but I don't feel like plunking any more money on a V6.

It passed smog yesterday, and kbb shows I can probably sell it for exactly what I bought it for a year ago. Would getting a GT around the same age be a good choice?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:46 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

KBB is not a good way to judge selling price. Just sayin'.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

well a GT your gonna obviously go through more gas have higher insurance and probably get the mod bug so if your down throwing money into a V8 go for it if not just stick with that V6 and drive it till it dies! they will run for a long time if you just do regular preventive repair. a guy on the forum here had a 04 mustang with 5xx,xxx plus miles running strong!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:47 AM
mustachio

Originally Posted by TomKat
well a GT your gonna obviously go through more gas have higher insurance and probably get the mod bug so if your down throwing money into a V8 go for it if not just stick with that V6 and drive it till it dies! they will run for a long time if you just do regular preventive repair. a guy on the forum here had a 04 mustang with 5xx,xxx plus miles running strong!
That's pretty hardcore. Was it a V6 or GT?