General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch Pedal Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 PM
amvaughn

Default Clutch Pedal Adjustment

Hi everyone!

Well I have this delima. I purchased a new clutch, tob, pb, clutch quadrant, firewall adjuster and cable. Put it all together and drove it for a 1000 miles or so and guess what. The damn throwout bearing starts chirping. Well I know what it is so i purchase a freeplay spring to keep the tob from rubbing the fingers on the clutch. So with that being said after all was installed i took the dust cover off the trans and watched the tob. It was still spinning. Ok let me adjust the firewall adjuster to add some slack. Back and forth I did this until the tob was just barrrly missing the fingers. Great put it all together and drop the car. Get in and go to throw it in first and no worky. With the pedal to the floor it does not disengage the clutch enough to shift. Now i'm pist. The quadrant I purchased was from AM. It is the one that has 2 hooks. I am on the second hook to try to get as much throw as possible. Now with that being said I have ordered the pedal bushings to try to get the little freeplay in the pedal gone but this is BS. I hear people say you have to preload the tob and I can see why they say that. There is just not enough throw in the damn pedal to fully disengage the clutch one way and have the tob not rubbing the other. No wonder everyone bitches about mustangs and the tob. Mechanically the tob is only supposed to make contact during clutch action and not the whole time or else you will prematurely wear out the tob. So, has anyone found a quadrant that has more throw. All i see when I look is "easier pedal movement" which tells me less throw.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

That's because the tob has to make contact with the clutch under preload.

If there is no preload you wont be able to put the car in gear while its running.

It probly started chirping because it didn't have enough preload on the cable to start with. Ideally you want your clutch to fully disengage at about half pedal. So re adjust your cable till the clutch will disengage sooner. This preload will put the tob in heavy contact with the fingers of the pressure plate , that preload will halt any squealing of the tob.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:02 AM
amvaughn

Well a week went by and the clutch got worse. Purchased the OEM cable so uninstalled the (New) Stedda cable. It was not in two but it had been stretched. Metal wires torn and sheath all deformed. You could not tell visually inspecting it on the car but once removed it wouldn't even move in the sheath. Installed new cable. Worked great! Plenty of room to not have tob touching at all and when pressed have 3 inches off the floor before engagement. I will never buy a Steeda or any other performance part (made in Taiwan) ever again. Lesson learned.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 PM
jerstysu
1st Gear Member

Glad you got it straightened out.