General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Random missfire problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
bootstrap_bill15

Default Random missfire problem

Lately i have been having problems with random missfires. I will be driving and the car will start missfiring, bog down quite a bit and the check engine light will turn on. It never lasts for more than a minute or so and the car will never actually die. Once it stops missfiring it drives perfectly fine. It often happens more than once a day, sometimes mutiple times. I never have had this issue until my underdrive pulley was put on, so im wondering if it is a small timing issue. I plugged my tuner in to check the error codes and it reads random missfires. I replaced plugs, wires and did a complete tune up to cover all the minor basis and the problem continues. All i can come up with is maybe the guy that installed my underdrive pulley messed up the timiming slightly. If anyone has had this problem or can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Oh and its on a 07 gt
Old 08-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by bootstrap_bill15
Lately i have been having problems with random missfires. I will be driving and the car will start missfiring, bog down quite a bit and the check engine light will turn on. It never lasts for more than a minute or so and the car will never actually die. Once it stops missfiring it drives perfectly fine. It often happens more than once a day, sometimes mutiple times. I never have had this issue until my underdrive pulley was put on, so im wondering if it is a small timing issue. I plugged my tuner in to check the error codes and it reads random missfires. I replaced plugs, wires and did a complete tune up to cover all the minor basis and the problem continues. All i can come up with is maybe the guy that installed my underdrive pulley messed up the timiming slightly. If anyone has had this problem or can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Oh and its on a 07 gt
on a 07Gt you will not have 'wires' Aside from plugs there's isn't really much else to change for a 'tune up'. What all did you change?

Misfire hiccups like this can be caused by a bad/loose Camshaft position sensor. You have two. Each one is located towards the front of the engine on top of the valve cover.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/taco..._4487.jpg.html

Check the sensor is in place not wobbling around and check the wire harness and wiring for crimps, frays, or looseness.