General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:58 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

Default squeaky brakes

I have a brake squeak. It happens when I am driving and goes away when I apply the brakes.

I have replaced the Caliper, Rotor, and pads on the offending wheel(passenger front) I'm running hawk performance ceramic brake pads from American Muscle.

When I changed out the parts the squeak went away for a couple of days. Then it returned. I took everything apart and LIBERALLY coated parts with that red brake parts lube. When I put it together the squeak went away for a couple days and came back.

Ay ideas?

Oh yeah. It's a 96 GT 'vert.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nathansmith50
I have a brake squeak. It happens when I am driving and goes away when I apply the brakes.

I have replaced the Caliper, Rotor, and pads on the offending wheel(passenger front) I'm running hawk performance ceramic brake pads from American Muscle.

When I changed out the parts the squeak went away for a couple of days. Then it returned. I took everything apart and LIBERALLY coated parts with that red brake parts lube. When I put it together the squeak went away for a couple days and came back.

Ay ideas?

Oh yeah. It's a 96 GT 'vert.
Hmm, this is sounds extremely odd. A brake squeal is usually the complete opposite of what you're experiencing! I've never really heard of a brake squeal when driving normally and it goes away when applying the brakes. It sounds like somethings going on with the actual caliper or caliper piston.

I wish I could be more help here but I'm at a lost without the car in front of me. I would recommend taking the car to a local shop just to get a professional opinion and see if they can find anything simple!

-Dan
Old 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

well it's intermittent....not a constant squeal...squeak...squeak...squeak... more and more rapidly the faster i go.

it also goes away when i turn right. I know it needs an alignment but i wouldn't think that would cause it...especially since after i dismantle and reassemble the brakes it goes away and comes back two days later.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Chris45215

By intermittent, do you mean "it happens on some days but not others", or do you mean "on and off with a rhythm"? And if it has a rhythm, could you give us an idea of the rate, like in beats per minute? And is it perfectly steady if you hold a constant speed?

Did you change all the brake parts at the same time, or did you change them one at a time? I am suspecting that a deposit on a brake rotor could rub against the brake pad with every wheel turn, and applying the brakes would cause a constant pressure instead, but it is very unlikely to have such a big deposit for so long. Also, if you could record the sound on a phone and upload the video (youtube is easy), that could help.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:02 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

By intermittent I mean with rhythm. BPM varies by speed but I'd say maybe 60 or so cruising through my neighborhood at 25.

I replaced everything at once. I was replacing the pads and I found the rotors didn't look great so I figured I'd replace them as well. The caliper piston was a pain in the tail so I just decided to take care of that while I was already in there.

Recording is probably not going to happen for a while