General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dual Battery Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Epon
1st Gear Member

Default Dual Battery Setup

I need to install a second battery into my trunk in order to power some extra stuff I'm putting in (trust me the one battery isn't pumping out enough amps alone). So I just rigged up the two batteries so they'd be running 12V still with some 4guage jumper cable wire (cut off the ends and stuff, nice and cheap at WalMart). It worked like a charm, both batteries seemed to be charging equally and whatnot. I drove from NJ down to Florida (1400+ miles) without a single problem.

When I was down in Florida for about a week, however, I had a problem. I was driving around when I heard popping coming from the firewall. Then sparks. Then flames. Then toehair singed. I pulled over and quickly put the fire out. I had no choice but to disconnect the rear battery (took a few hours in the heat) and went on my way.

I noticed that right by the firewall, the insulation (rubber) around the wires had melted somehow and the + and - had shorted, thus setting the fire. But the wires weren't touching the metal frame, it was touching the rubber plug thru the firewall.

So I dunno if the altanator was effing things up and pumping too many amps for 4 guage.

Basically I'm asking how do I properly set up two batteries to be running at all times (no stupid switch for A or B)...Do I need an isolator? Fuse setup? Help.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dual Battery Setup

did you use a gromet going througth the fire wall. if not i would guess that a hole rubed through the wire and shorted it out agians the firewall.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:55 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

if you drove 1400 miles, i would think that you had it wired correctly. How many amps are drawing on the 4 guage wire and how long is the wire? What size alternator do you have, and are you absolutely sure the positive cable running through the firewall didnt rub through to the frame somewhere? The wires probably didnt short together the + lead might have grounded causing the fire and melted both wires. to many amps, grounded or shorted. should of used a fuse.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Epon

I need to install a second battery into my trunk in order to power some extra stuff I'm putting in (trust me the one battery isn't pumping out enough amps alone). So I just rigged up the two batteries so they'd be running 12V still with some 4guage jumper cable wire (cut off the ends and stuff, nice and cheap at WalMart). It worked like a charm, both batteries seemed to be charging equally and whatnot. I drove from NJ down to Florida (1400+ miles) without a single problem.

When I was down in Florida for about a week, however, I had a problem. I was driving around when I heard popping coming from the firewall. Then sparks. Then flames. Then toehair singed. I pulled over and quickly put the fire out. I had no choice but to disconnect the rear battery (took a few hours in the heat) and went on my way.

I noticed that right by the firewall, the insulation (rubber) around the wires had melted somehow and the + and - had shorted, thus setting the fire. But the wires weren't touching the metal frame, it was touching the rubber plug thru the firewall.

So I dunno if the altanator was effing things up and pumping too many amps for 4 guage.

Basically I'm asking how do I properly set up two batteries to be running at all times (no stupid switch for A or B)...Do I need an isolator? Fuse setup? Help.
I didn't see you mention anything about a battery isolator. Keeps the alternator from seeing both batteries at the same time. In other words it allows the battery that needs to be charged, to be well....charged, and ignores the one that doesn't. It sounds like you may have overcharged one of your batteries.

You can pick one up at Pep Boys for about $30.

Here's better info on how they work.
http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm
Old 10-13-2005, 09:41 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

What would lead you to believe he overcharged a battery? I seriously doubt that, with two batteries, you are at risk over overcharging. I mean...the alternator didn't overcharge the stock SINGLE battery, let alone both. Secondly, I believe you would see/smell evidence of an overcharge at the site of afflicted battery. I'm shooting towards the short. Especially since the incident occured around the firewall.

Furthermore, how exaclty would a battery isolator prevent overcharging? If a regulator is bad, you would get overcharging reguardless of an isolator. What you are describing is more-so a relay than an isolator.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:59 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

battery cables have to be a min of a 2 gauge but a "00" is what you need to del good voltage to the starter..if needing 2 batteries maybe a lite wt dry cell might be right 4 you
Old 10-13-2005, 10:25 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfast

battery cables have to be a min of a 2 gauge but a "00" is what you need to del good voltage to the starter..if needing 2 batteries maybe a lite wt dry cell might be right 4 you
Please tell me you are just kidding around.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:52 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

why would you say that?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: pj1010

What would lead you to believe he overcharged a battery? I seriously doubt that, with two batteries, you are at risk over overcharging. I mean...the alternator didn't overcharge the stock SINGLE battery, let alone both. Secondly, I believe you would see/smell evidence of an overcharge at the site of afflicted battery. I'm shooting towards the short. Especially since the incident occured around the firewall.

Furthermore, how exaclty would a battery isolator prevent overcharging? If a regulator is bad, you would get overcharging reguardless of an isolator. What you are describing is more-so a relay than an isolator.
I missed the firewall part since he said the wire wasn't exposed. As for being overcharged, check the both batteries for bulging sides. Any time you add something to an electrical system, especially a battery, you have to take precautions. The Isolator, again, would keep the batteries from seeing each other and the alternator from treating them as one. You seem to know something about electrical topics so I shouldn't have to explain it to you.

You didn't read anything on the link I posted previously. Some isolators are relay type. Also, in a dual battery setup, the smaller battery runs the risk of being overcharged. Thus my original response that he probably did overcharge one of the batteries. The alternator does not differentiate between teh batteries, all it does is see that A battery needs charging. If the alternator is always charging whether or not it's needed, the battery would get overcharged.

take a look at sections 7.1.9 and 7.3.2
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq7.htm#wiring

That link is for boats but also applies to ANY type of craft including cars that use dual or mult-battery setups. If you have something that says otherwise from what I've posted and can back it up. Then please do so.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

i still think yall are over analizing this. im sticking with a short coming througth the firewall.

Quick Reply: Dual Battery Setup