General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hot Fox Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 10:44 PM
Velvet Leopard

Default Hot Fox Swap

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I guess it would be in tech. The leopard has finally reached the first stage of swapping an engine. I have obtained an engine and a transmission. I will have my 1971 351W with a run of the mill AOD overdrive tranny. All I want for the moment is to get these in my 'Stang ('93 LX Notchback) and running. Nothing too fancy. I need to know what I will need to do my swap. Like accessories, brackets, oil pan, etc. I have the stock 2.3L engine in it right now. If anyone knows where I can find any of the parts I need for this swap, I would be more than appreciative. Thankies much. =^.^=
Old 10-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hot Fox Swap

things you need just to get the motor in and goin down the road.

1 oil pan about $60 2. motor mounts 75 for solid motor mounts last time i looked 3 headers how ever much you want to spend (80-1000)
the cross member will be fine for the tranny there are a couple of tack welds that you will need to grind off and when the tranny is set retack.
i don't under stand if you have a complete motor meaning intake, carb, acc and so on if not
go to a junck yard and get a serpetine set up off a car it will make the engin look nicer. you will be able to reuse your alt, starter, and power steering pump at that point. it ther motor has all that well then run what ya already have. i have seen people use the 4 cyl radiator and get away with it but for a 351 i would want to up grade there pretty cheap you can find aluminum radiators for about 200 bucks. if your using a carb you will need to do somthing about your fuel system the fuel pump you have now will work(may involve a littel rewiring) but your gonna have to put a presure regulator on it most carbs only need between 6-9 psi. The 7.5 rear will hold the power if ya do a little up grading to it or if ya can find a 8.8 the parts are a lot cheaper.

we really need some more info on what you have and what you want in the end.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Velvet Leopard

Hmmmm. You're right. I should have told you what all I have. I didn't want to seem like I was rambling there. Okee, this is what I currently have.

1. Bone stock '93 LX Notchback
2. Bone stock 2.3L 4 cylinder engine
3. Bone stock automatic 4 speed Overdrive tranny

This is what I have concerning the engine I want swapped in.

1. 1971 351 Windsor Engine
2. AOD tranny, somewhere around 1980 to 1990.

The tranny is 100% complete and still in the donor car. A Grand Marquis of around 1980 to 1990 not too sure. The engine is originally out of a 1971 Gran Tourino but was taken out and rebuilt with 1969 internals. The engine, at this very moment in time, is complete with the block, heads, all internals, timing chain and cover, water pump, valve covers, oil pan, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold for a two barrel, and thermostat housing. It is missing the carb, distributer, plug wires, flywheel, all front end accessories, brackets, belts, and fan. I know I need to get a special oil pan and pump. I also know I need to get new motor mounts. I hope this information is more helpful than the last post. Sorry about that. I hope someone out there can help the leopard find these parts. Thankies much. =^.^=
Old 10-16-2005, 01:03 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/18818/

There is everything u will need to know abou the swap goodluck
Old 10-17-2005, 01:46 AM
351cougar

hey, just a little something else you should know, if you want to run a serpetine setup, you will need a timing chain cover from a vehicle that has a serpetine setup. another thing is you will really want to consider putting a shift kit in that AOD, the 351 puts out quite a bit more torque than the 302, the c-6 is the desirable transmission for a 351, but the AOD will be fine if you step it up a little. One more thing is the old 351's were not roller motors, so if you go with fuel injection, that is something you might want to consider.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Velvet Leopard

Thanks for the info guys. This engine will stay carburated for now. I will do a total rebuild and upgrade when I decide to go FI. Also, I couldn't find a way to get any catalogs or info online about the motor mounts and brackets and stuff. The site links given to me were either dead or the site had no proces, catalogs, or info. I know I can get the stock '93 LX convertable 5.0 motor mounts and they will work just fine, but would this cause a clearance problem in my stock hood??
Old 10-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

the motor mounts are easy jegs you should be able to find a oil pan and pickup there too and also a set of headers, intake and carb. the stock 5.0 motor mounts will work fine but you may have to stick with a low rise intake and air breather to get hood clearance. if there is more of the convertable there you might want to get the pullies and accessories off of it to get your serpentine setup. i would also look in to the crossmember for the tranny you can get away with the 4 cly but you exhaust shop will thank you if ya get a double hump cross member.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Velvet Leopard

Jegs' motor mounts only go to 1992 Mustangs. Will this still work for my '93? Hmmmmm. A double hump crossmember? I know why I would need one. I thought it already had one due to the fact that the car was optioned with the 2.3L or the 5.0L. Where would I find a double hump crossmember for my car? Would Jegs have that too?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

yeah the motor mounts will work throught 95
the crossmember you just ahave too look some all 5.0 cars had them but only some of the 2.3's i guess if they ran out of the single they just through an double on there.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Velvet Leopard

Okee. These cool looking solid mounts, that added rigidity in my driveline won't harm my driveline during normal use will it? Oh and exactly which transmission mount should I get for this thing? I was also told that if I don't have a double hump crossmember, then don't worry about it, just grind a couple tack welds, add the tranny, and tack weld it back. What should I do there? I will check today about whether it has the DH X-member.

Quick Reply: Hot Fox Swap