General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

blue lights question---er i think they're blue..headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:38 AM
melissajean0

Default blue lights question---er i think they're blue..headlights

Okay so I have a really stupid question...probably. I have a 2006 Ford Mustang Coupe. I want to get some of the blue headlights...although they're annoying as f***, because I can't see very well at night. I know I can see better w/ the blue (I guess they're blue-Idk what they're called, they look like halogen lights when they're shining) because we have them on our F350 Dually. So here's my question, can I change only the bulb and get the same effect or do I have to have like a whole new headlight & bulb?
thx
mel
Old 11-03-2014, 11:29 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Are you talking about the HID lights or the el cheapo lights at WalMart that are "blue." Pass on those....seriously. But they are plug and play.

The HID lights are NOT interchangeable with the halogen bulbs.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:39 AM
melissajean0

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Are you talking about the HID lights or the el cheapo lights at WalMart that are "blue." Pass on those....seriously. But they are plug and play.

The HID lights are NOT interchangeable with the halogen bulbs.
Yeah they're HIDs that's what I'm looking for! Thanks I saw like these HID adapter kits but its not the same thin we have in our truck. We removed the entire light in our truck. The thing I saw someone put on their mustang was 2 bulbs with a few wires and a box thinggy that ties them together. So now my question is what are the best HIDs? As i said I can't see sh** at night.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:57 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

You get what you pay for. Do you want to pay a grand plus or so for them? Then get the OEM kit.

Otherwise I would wait until it is time to trade the car in.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:00 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by melissajean0
Yeah they're HIDs that's what I'm looking for! Thanks I saw like these HID adapter kits but its not the same thin we have in our truck. We removed the entire light in our truck. The thing I saw someone put on their mustang was 2 bulbs with a few wires and a box thinggy that ties them together. So now my question is what are the best HIDs? As i said I can't see sh** at night.
Yea, those are ****. Don't get them. They will last for a short time before breaking. Especially the cheap ones. If you car is equipped with halogen bulbs, stick with halogen bulbs. I bought my 05 with those installed and they gave me nothing but problems. So I took them out.

A good alternative though..
I still wanted a blueish tint to the headlights so I actually bought some headlight bulbs on ebay for like $5 each and they were a bit brighter and had a subtle blue/white tint to them. Actually better than the stock ones I had. I had to change one of them out eventually because it burnt out after a year of having it but it was well worth it. I went with a 5000K bulb. I wouldn't go any higher than that though because then they start getting really pricy. Try it out.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

blue lights don't help you see better at night. Human vision is poor at resolving light at the blue-violet end of the spectrum.

Yellow lights help you see better.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:45 PM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

yellow also makes deer blend in better if they don't look at you just try wearing yellow tinted glasses at night and you'll see the only really good thing I can think of would be projector headlight assembly with a nice set of Sylvania zxe (I think its zxe anyway) lights they are about 60 bucks a pair but they are amazingly bright and you don't have to mess with anything else (like the extra fuse box or whatever the hell that thing is)
Old 11-05-2014, 07:58 PM
melissajean0

Originally Posted by 95gtconvert
yellow also makes deer blend in better if they don't look at you just try wearing yellow tinted glasses at night and you'll see the only really good thing I can think of would be projector headlight assembly with a nice set of Sylvania zxe (I think its zxe anyway) lights they are about 60 bucks a pair but they are amazingly bright and you don't have to mess with anything else (like the extra fuse box or whatever the hell that thing is)
If I could wear them I would. I already wear glasses, so I wouldn't be able to do that unless I went out and got a new pair that were tinted...Idk if they do that though.(?) So with those Sylvania zxe's do you have to have some different wiring or is it just bulbs? I have a 06 Mustang, if that makes a difference.

Are these the same ones you're talking about? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s...zxe#fragment-2

Last edited by melissajean0; 11-05-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:01 PM
melissajean0

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
You get what you pay for. Do you want to pay a grand plus or so for them? Then get the OEM kit.

Otherwise I would wait until it is time to trade the car in.
Yeah that's high. I mean, I was looking around $500 or less tbh. But if HID's aren't going to help me see like a s**t ton better, then it'd be a waste.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:03 PM
melissajean0

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
Yea, those are ****. Don't get them. They will last for a short time before breaking. Especially the cheap ones. If you car is equipped with halogen bulbs, stick with halogen bulbs. I bought my 05 with those installed and they gave me nothing but problems. So I took them out.

A good alternative though..
I still wanted a blueish tint to the headlights so I actually bought some headlight bulbs on ebay for like $5 each and they were a bit brighter and had a subtle blue/white tint to them. Actually better than the stock ones I had. I had to change one of them out eventually because it burnt out after a year of having it but it was well worth it. I went with a 5000K bulb. I wouldn't go any higher than that though because then they start getting really pricy. Try it out.
Yeah I have a 06, so I definitely don't want to spend money just to have problems with it. :/

Quick Reply: blue lights question---er i think they're blue..headlights