General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Why do you use fuel additives?
Treating ethanol related issues
17.65%
Increase octane rating
0%
Improve gas mileage
0%
Clean fuel system and engine
23.53%
Stabilize fuel
5.88%
Increase engine power and performance
0%
I do not use fuel additives
52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Why do you use a fuel additive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 02:58 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

My snowblower and lawn mower use 2 strokes and I use sta-bil in them when not in use.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:54 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
I don't.
actually, I lied. I do use stabilizer in my motorcycles, since they sit for at least a few months in the winter. the fuel systems are sealed, but a little extra protection can't hurt.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:42 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Q: Why do I use fuel additives?

A: BECAUSE ETHANOL SUCKS!
Old 03-11-2016, 03:18 PM
STA-BIL®
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jgull1g
I have a 1999 GT Convertible with 45,500 original miles that has been sitting for over years that I have brought back to life. After many new parts and countless man hours it runs. It had a rusty gas tank (which was replaced as well as the pump & filter) with old rusty gas in the lines and through injectors so I added a whole can of Seafoam to the fuel tank that had maybe 5 gallons of fresh gas in it not reading the instructions properly. Now it has a rough idle almost like a miss and billowing out smoke. What should I do to help clear this up? Run it out before I fill up the gas tank or should I dilute it and drive it for a while? Also would this do any long term damage? I already cleaned the fouled plugs which stopped it from stalling.
Hey jgull1g,

This is a great question, however we do not manufacture this product. We recommend contacting the manufacture of this product regarding the questions you have.

Have a great day!
Old 03-11-2016, 03:22 PM
STA-BIL®
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by movielover40
My snowblower and lawn mower use 2 strokes and I use sta-bil in them when not in use.
Originally Posted by jz78817
actually, I lied. I do use stabilizer in my motorcycles, since they sit for at least a few months in the winter. the fuel systems are sealed, but a little extra protection can't hurt.
Thanks for being loyal STA-BIL® customers! If you ever have any questions, feel free to contact us!

Have a great day!
Old 03-12-2016, 12:08 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jgull1g
I have a 1999 GT Convertible with 45,500 original miles that has been sitting for over years that I have brought back to life. After many new parts and countless man hours it runs. It had a rusty gas tank (which was replaced as well as the pump & filter) with old rusty gas in the lines and through injectors so I added a whole can of Seafoam to the fuel tank that had maybe 5 gallons of fresh gas in it not reading the instructions properly. Now it has a rough idle almost like a miss and billowing out smoke. What should I do to help clear this up? Run it out before I fill up the gas tank or should I dilute it and drive it for a while? Also would this do any long term damage? I already cleaned the fouled plugs which stopped it from stalling.
you should never have put that stuff in your gas tank in the first place. I can't understand why so many people get suckered into the Seafoam nonsense.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:16 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

....'splain, please?
Old 03-12-2016, 06:25 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Seafoam is just a blend of a light oil, isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, and naphtha (mineral spirits or paint thinner.) Idiots buy this stuff and apropos of nothing will dump it in their gas tank, or into the crankcase, or even plumb it into a vacuum hose and let their engine suck it in. There are a bunch of stupid YouTube videos where these people have their engine draw in Seafoam through a vacuum line and claim all of the white smoke coming out of the exhaust is "Seafoam burning off all of the carbon deposits." No you fools, the white smoke is the light oil in the Seafoam burning off.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:51 AM
STA-BIL®
Former Sponsor

In regards to help with rust and corrosion prevention, we do make a product called STA-BIL® 360°™ Performance that not only protects below the fuel line, but also above. An exclusive Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor rises above the fuel line to provide a protective coating on ALL the metal parts of the entire fuel system and combustion chamber, even when the engine is not running.

For more information about this product, please check out our website at http://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta...60-performance.

Also, the first 5 people to respond to us with a PM will receive a sample of STA-BIL® 360°™ Performance. In your PM, please send us your mailing address (Sorry, No P.O. boxes please) and we would be happy to send you one to try!

Have a great day!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:47 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

As further evidence regarding the effectiveness of Sta-bil, I submit the following testimonial:

After purposefully and absolutely neglecting my yard & lawn for the last 5 months, yesterday I decided to tighten up the Fastback Plantation as an anniversary present for my wife.

I figure 5 months was enough time for her to learn her lesson about bitching about how bad the yard looks after I bust my *** keeping it mowed, trimmed and green. We live in a heavily wooded area so my "lawn" is what could kindly be referred to as a "hybrid lawn". Much to the chagrin of Mrs. Fastback, it is a veritable smorgasbord of greenery consisting of many types of grass and not-grass.

Her: "The grass is taking over the walkways, the leaves are getting deep, the dogs have trashed the yard and it looks terrible! You use to take such pride in how your yard looked."

Me: "You bitched about how bad the yard looked after I busted my *** on it and now you're bitching about how bad it looks when I don't lift a finger so I decided to cut out a step and save myself a lot of hassle".

Her: Blink. Blink.

So, in the spirit of detente I dusted off the lawn equipment and every single piece of equipment that I stored away with Sta-bil Marine fired right up and once again the yard is standing tall and looking good and the Mrs. is as happy as a lark with nary a complaint.

Thanks, Sta-Bil! You helped restore peace to my marriage and saved me from having to rebuild the carburetors on all of my lawn equipment !

Last edited by fastbackford351; 03-22-2016 at 03:14 PM.