General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 03:38 AM
AmericanMuscle
1st Gear Member

Default Need Opinion.

My buddy wants a new toy, so he's been looking around for a car (he drives an chevy blazer for work).. He asked where to start, seeing as I just went through a year of searching. Unfortunately, I'm close-minded, and can't stand ricers. The only good thing I can say about some of the higher end models is they're AWD + come with ****ty factory turbo. Anyway, he's looking to drop 10-15, and he's impartial to domestic or imports. He found an RX-8 for 15 nearby with low miles, also might be interested in a turbo'd eclipse.. I know nothing about 4-bangers, any opinions?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:36 AM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Opinion.

seriously imports are gay no matter what.. thats a crazy question to ask in here. my friend has a turbo eclipse, the sad thing is.. is the turbo is the only good part of the car. the stock eclipse motor is gutless as hell. if you can talk him into either a 99 mustang or a 98-00 z28 if he would stay domestic that is. the 99 mustang gt you can grab for around 10k and if he can throw the other 5k into it he would have a nice quick ride. the z28 on the other hand will probably run him the full 15k. seriously anytime you buy a car you need to drive the kinds of cars you want and pick the one you really want otherwise you will always wonder if the other car would have been better. make a list and start driving..
Old 10-20-2005, 08:05 AM
smoker40

instead of buing a import he should save what little pride he has left and take the bus[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Old 10-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

IMPORT!!! You mean like the ones we like to beat on.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:38 PM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

Buy either a Fox or a 94-95 5.0 for like $4000-$8000 and put the remaing cash into mods or a 347 - 331 - 351 or whatever.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:33 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

There are only a couple imports that I really respect that alot of other people should respect as when coming from what generation they come from and what size engine.

The first I would suggest is a 93-95 Twin Turbo Nissan 300ZX. Its 300hp (Some models went to 360 and a very special 10 had 460 factory/mod like Roush or Saleen does) They arent that expensive, a nice 93' with less then 80k miles will run you about 6,000, its the 94,95 that are more pricy (Upwards of 12,000(Because of added safety and stying features)) for a clean Z. Now the reason why I dont mention the 96' Z is because Nissan decided to drop the VVT and lost about 20hp, in Japan the model went untill 1999. One of the great things about the Z's are that the engine is actually faced to the back like our V8's and V6's (The Z is a 3.0L DOHC 24V engine with VVT(Variable Valve Timing) kinda like Honda's V-Tech) so the power go's right back to those Rear Tires for optimum power distribution (Unlike other RWD import cars such as the 3000GT that places its engine sideways, of course the VR4 AWD Turbo model is nice, its way heavy and still loses power by the sidemounted 3.0L V6, I would also like to mention that they are SOHC.)

The 89-96 American 300ZX TT had a rather cool setup called HICAS which turned the rear tires up to 1.5% I think to aid in turning which offered better handling performance but to a newbie it would seem like you were about to lose controll. Now 89-92 HICAS systems were extreemly prone to problems and leakage and cost thousands to repair, in 93' they went to a better managment system that didnt break as often but still equally costly. Alot of people will actually remove the HICAS system because they are not use to it and dont trust it. You can also sell the unit for a decent amount for more mods.

The Z's Manual Transmission came factory very quick and light and feels as if you already had a short throw shifter installed. The Automatic transmission came with a very high shift point programed in when you are at WOT and shifts you close to 6000 RPMs. The odfire engine sounds deep and crisp when the proper exhaust is installed (Not huge fart cans or flowmasters) Monza makes a good system for the car.

The sheer amount of aftermarket parts for this car out there are awesome, there are well priced turbo kits that will increase power close to 500hp. Along with other modifications you can go even higher, 1000+hp Z's arent that rare and hold up very well. But there is one fatal problem that exists in the 89-96 Turbo Z, The main bearings are weak, after 60-80k miles they should be replaced, any kind of performance modification done should also condone a bearing install. The NA Z has much stronger bearings for some reason I can not understand.

In Japan there are TT 300ZX's that have the 2+2 option but here in America they do not exist. The 2+2 is somewhere around 20"s longer, has 4 seats and is so much more stable on the road due to its longer stance. Many people buy the 2+2 models and convert them over to a TT setup. Some people even claim that they put a Q45 Infinity V8 into their Z's, but that would an extreemly tight fit and fabrication would be involved.

Thats about as far as my Z knowledge goes.

Now for the Supra, that RWD inline 6 car is one hell of a beast, but I dont like their sluggish handling and round off ballance looks so I dont know much about them They are good cars though, just so damn expensive.

The Z is about the only affordable import that I will recomend, but they are costly to modify in the long run, when you try to get more power out of the little things the companies know that you want it and are willing to pay for it.

Good luck to your friend.

-Eric-
Old 10-20-2005, 06:41 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The 89-96 was said to be the Corvette Killer of the 90's, thats gotta demand some respect
Old 10-20-2005, 08:51 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

those RX-8's have rotary's in them, so they're probably a pain to work on.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:52 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

not to mention rx8's are sloooooooow.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:39 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Det the DSM

Quick Reply: Need Opinion.