General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 Mustang 3.7

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 AM
7873surf

Default 2012 Mustang 3.7

Have had some recent issues with the car going into limp mode. Very dangerous, the Instrument panel lights up like a Christmas tree and car has very little power. I replaced the stock throttle body with a BBK hoping that might solve the problem. It did not. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2015, 11:19 AM
JimC

What codes are you getting when it goes into limp mode?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 7873surf
Have had some recent issues with the car going into limp mode. Very dangerous, the Instrument panel lights up like a Christmas tree and car has very little power. I replaced the stock throttle body with a BBK hoping that might solve the problem. It did not. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hey 78,

That does not sound like fun! Are you getting any codes? Does everything clear up when you restart the car? Has the car been tuned?

There are a ton of issues that could cause this, but it's tough to say without looking at the car.

Hopefully you'll be able to shoot us some more information so we can get to the bottom of this for you!

-Will
Old 07-21-2015, 12:57 PM
7873surf

After a brief time in Limp Mode the problem corrects itself and the car runs fine. Do I need to take it to a Ford Dealer to run the codes, or could any of the Auto Parts stores do the same? Thanks!
Old 07-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

So without figuring out what was causing the original problem (or at least getting the codes), you replaced a part in the hopes it would fix it. Problem is still present and now you have another variable in there. The BBK TB.

Does the Check engine light always stay on or is only lit/flashing when it's in limp mode?

For starters, get rid of the BBK TB. They are less reliable than the OEM TB. Dealership will most likely look at the TB and simply blame it without running codes or, if they do run the codes they will tell you the TB voids the warranty because it could be related to the codes.

They are not incorrect since a TB can cause limp mode however, they would need to prove the TB is causing the codes to begin with. At this point it's most likely not since the problem was present before it, but, you are dealing with the dealer which will blame the most obvious thing first...aftermarket TB.

Second, if the light is always on you can retrieve some codes, if not, you may only be able to get codes when the CEL is lit/flashing. Autozone can usually plug into your OBDII system to retrieve any pending or stored codes but not if the codes are only present when the CEL is flashing.

AFTER you get the codes, come back to forum and let us know what you pull up.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:53 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

After a brief time in Limp Mode the problem corrects itself and the car runs fine. Do I need to take it to a Ford Dealer to run the codes, or could any of the Auto Parts stores do the same? Thanks!

Most auto parts stores can retrieve the codes but if the only mod to your car is the BBK TB, I would personally recommend swapping back to stock and bringing the car into Ford!

The Ford techs should have the best chance at completely diagnosing and fixing the issue and that would definitely be my next step, especially if you have some kind of warranty left!

Let me know what you figure out and if I can be of any more assistance!

-Will