General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Took 70 Years to Sit in a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Base14WOW

Default Took 70 Years to Sit in a Mustang

Hello, I just joined this Mustang Forum today. I turned 70 this year and treated myself to a '14 V6 Mustang. WOW! Can this thing GO!! Seems almost faster than my '69 GTO convertible. Although not new to cars and muscle cars in general, I never even sat in a Mustang much less buying a Race Red just 2 weeks ago. I love the looks and everything about it. Well, almost. So, already I have a question that I hope can be solved in this Forum.

When I stomp on the accelerator, there is about a 1 second hesitation before being blown back in the seat. I assume that this is normal, but I would like an instantaneous response. Can this be accomplished without spending a lot of money? I love the car just as it is, but would like to eliminate that 'flat' spot.

Already added Mustang mud flaps and Mustang rubber floor mats. Looks great.

Thanks....
Old 11-14-2015, 02:49 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Congrats and welcome. I had the same problem, the easy fix is to get a tuner for it. It's an easy mod as it's just a download. No tools required
Old 11-14-2015, 04:23 PM
88TTOPFOX

There's a little bit of a delay due to the way the car is tuned.

Due to emission standards, the computer makes adjustments to your vehicle when it sees you commanding the throttle fully open. These adjustments improve emissions mostly, it can do to this because your car is drive by wire. All newer cars (2000ish and newer) the pedal is not mechanically connected to the throttle but rather connected through sensors and electrical motors allowing the computer to delay the immediate acceleration you remember from your GTO.

Basically the computer is saying I see you want to go fast but I gotta make a couple adjustments first.

As the gentleman above me stated, a performance tune will eliminate this delay. Your dealer may be stingy about warranty work afterwards though, as this can void your warranty. It depends on your relationship with your dealer.

Welcome and congrats on your new mustang!! Enjoy it!
Old 11-14-2015, 07:42 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Base14WOW
Hello, I just joined this Mustang Forum today. I turned 70 this year and treated myself to a '14 V6 Mustang. WOW! Can this thing GO!! Seems almost faster than my '69 GTO convertible. Although not new to cars and muscle cars in general, I never even sat in a Mustang much less buying a Race Red just 2 weeks ago. I love the looks and everything about it. Well, almost. So, already I have a question that I hope can be solved in this Forum.

When I stomp on the accelerator, there is about a 1 second hesitation before being blown back in the seat. I assume that this is normal, but I would like an instantaneous response. Can this be accomplished without spending a lot of money? I love the car just as it is, but would like to eliminate that 'flat' spot.

Thanks....
Welcome, and like was said, get a tuner and that will take care of the throttle lag.

As for the 1969 GTO, you are probably correct about your Mustang being faster according to roadtests.tripod.com drag tests:
1969 GTO (MT)
1/4 mile - 14.9 @ 98.3mph

1969 GTO RA IV (CL)
1/4 mile - 14.4 @ 98mph

I checked my files and it looks like my 2013 V6 convertible, naturally aspirated, ran a best of 13.9 and typically ran 14.2.

Last edited by JimC; 11-14-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:38 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Base14WOW

Thanks....
Welcome to the forum..
Old 11-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Welcome!
Old 11-16-2015, 06:50 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, took you long enough lol.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:35 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Welcome from coastal Texas, I am 57 next March and owned a 67 Camaro, 1st car too. These Cyclone 3.7 motors are as fast as a Chevelle SS as well. Wider tires are great upgrade as well.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Base14WOW

Thumbs up Thanks To All...

I wanted to thank all of you that read and answered my 1st post here on this Mustang Forum. I feel really welcome. Although I may not make many postings here I now know where to go for any questions or concerns that I may have on my V6 (automatic....I've got enough stick-shifts with my '69 GTO and my '07 Solstice). Just wanted to sit back and enjoy the car even in stop n go traffic.

OK, so just to further this post/question, does anyone have a suggestion as to exactly what company/type/etc. I would need to purchase? I have no experience with "tuners" but assume that this has something to do with making a change to the way the computer handles the 'pedal to the floor". I don't need any more speed/horsepower/ft. lbs. although this change may incorporate it. Just something that will give me that burst at the hit of the throttle.
Also, regarding keeping my warranty in place..once this 'tune' is accomplished, will the dealer be able to tell that the stock tune was modified? A good friend of mine is a manager over at one of the local Ford dealerships (actually, bought this Mustang at his place) and he said that he believes that the new 'tune' can be easily wiped clean, and back to stock specs, if needed. What say you?

Thanks, again for your assistance.....
Old 11-16-2015, 11:54 AM
JimC

You can put it back to stock easily, but the ECM will have a marker showing it was changed. As long as the tune didn't cause the problem it isn't an issue. But if the tune is related to the problem at all, warranty coverage can be denied.

Tuners, and tunes, can be purchased through American Muscle and other forum sponsors. You plug the tuner in to the OBD port to the left of the steering column and follow the prompts.

Quick Reply: Took 70 Years to Sit in a Mustang