General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Elanor mustang build

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Westcourtracing1

Default Elanor mustang build

So I know I'm probably going to get a fair amount of **** for this but. I have always loved the Elenor 67 shellby mustang and always wanted to build one. I downloaded the manual from 67supersnake.com and have been reading through it it's really cool and really helpful but I have a few questions.
First of all I don't know if I want to restore an old fastback or buy a dynacorn chassis and body kit and then go from there. I don't know what would be better.

Secondly I have been working on cars ever since I was a little kid but I was curious if there is a book or a website that gives you directions on building a car from scratch or if a book about building a kit car would be helpful.

Finally kind of along the same lines as my second question, are there any books in general that you would recommend I read or at least have for reference if I was sincerely debating going through with the build.

Thanks in advance
Zach
Old 01-17-2016, 12:21 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Depends on what you want out of the project. There are literally hundreds of books on classic mustang from restorations to builds but most are geared toward original cars. Using recreation bodies may be more of a challenge as some companies build exact replicas and some build their own version with upgrades to be more suitable for a certain application such as racing. Kit cars lead to other issues as well with any aftermarket piece fitment can be hit or miss. So if you buy parts from one site that are factory spec and some aftermarket you may have to fabricate things to make it all work together. If you can find a good original body that will most likely be easier to get the body kits to work as they are modeled to fit them specifically. But on the other hand if you want to test your fab skills aftermarket bodies will basically give you a brand new car. Its all up to your skill level and how much cash you want to shell out. Also look into your local registration laws a lot of states have done away with kit car exemptions meaning if it has a new production date it will have to meet current emissions and safety standards $$$$$$. Where as the classic cars with an original VIN will be treated as an antique.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Westcourtracing1

Ok thanks so much! Any recommendations on books?