General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 03:44 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger question

I've been doing some research for a while now and have narrowed down to two kits the Roush TVS or the FR Whipple. Now my question is is the Whipple worth more money? I'm getting mixed answers in my research. A local tech has told me Whipple is best as the tune monitors the engine very well and can actually pull boost if the engine exceeds its limits. Now for me that sounds good this is going to be a DD car and I'm looking for 400-450RWHP. I also like the fact the Whipple was tested and certified with stock emissions including cats which I have to keep to be legal. So that being said what would you guys recommend for a DD on low boost. The only mods I have that will be staying is a set of the BBK shorty headers. I'll be putting the stock cams back in since the blower can make all the hp my stock internals can handle I see no reason to keep abusing the cats with them and a blower. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it is a toss up between the two you listed. if it were me, i would go with the one that looked better and fit into my budget. i would keep the detroit rockers and get a dyno tune from a shop you trust.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:44 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I had a rough time tuning those cams around here Brenspeed sent me their tune which is great with them but going to them for a dyno tune won't work because of distance so I'm debating them mostly. Basically it's coming down to the tune. The Whipple is top end of my budget and the Roush would allow me to do some fuel system upgrades to support it as well as a wideband for monitoring. So I'm just hung up on the tune really. I lean toward the Roush simply for price per hp and I know the quality is there. But you also can't go wrong with ford racing branded stuff in my opinion. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I went for the Roush Package because I had good luck with it before. I think the Roush tune is moderate enough to last & give excellent mileage in normal driving. There's always something cheaper & something putting out more H.P., but there's also a risk involved. When you open your hood & it looks basically like a Eaton Supercharged Ford GT 500, I think it retains more buyer confidence & resale value. If I was a resale buyer, I would be afraid to buy most of the non Eaton based setups out there. I'm sure that's prejudiced, but that's how I feel! It's also nice to know you can get a repair in any Ford Dealership in a pinch since it's basically a GT 500 Setup.

Last edited by Mr. D; 04-30-2016 at 10:30 PM.