General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlights/bulbs advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:00 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Default Headlights/bulbs advice

Hey guys,

Need some advice on which headlights/bulbs to go with.
I have tried:
Stock lights
Stock headlights with HIDs
Raxiom style projectors with HIDs

So far the best setup has been stock headlights with hids (but it was definitely blinding to others.) I love the look of the Raxiom headlights, but the visibility is terrible. My fogs (hids), are 10x brighter and dont blind other drivers being behind my grill. Plus the plastic piece that bolts the headlights to the cars frame broke, so the light shifts with every bump on the road!

Im looking for input on what direction I should go.. I would love to keep the aggressive look (halo!) of the raxioms, but ultimately visibility is far more important to me.

A buddy of mine recently went LEDs in his truck, and they look great.. Any input on these in a stock housing? Or has anyone found a GOOD set of projectors!?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:55 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Check out the DDM tuning.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I have PIAA brand 9007's in aftermarket (stock style) housings, they are supposed to be a 5000K light temperature and higher wattage (55/100) than most others like Silverstar's etc (35/55 typically).

They are stupid bright, comparable to the 6000K hid's I have in my Sport Trac. I probably need to re-aim them downward just a hair as they do **** off about 2 or 3 out of every 10 oncoming vehicles.

Anyway I've been very happy with them, if you don't want to go back to hid then that's what I recommend. Kinda hard to find in stores but you can look them up on Amazon, they go for about $75/set.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:28 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I have PIAA brand 9007's in aftermarket (stock style) housings, they are supposed to be a 5000K light temperature and higher wattage (55/100) than most others like Silverstar's etc (35/55 typically).

They are stupid bright, comparable to the 6000K hid's I have in my Sport Trac.

Anyway I've been very happy with them, if you don't want to go back to hid then that's what I recommend.
I love HIDs, but my car is already a cop magnet as it is. And from what ive found, the only good projector headlights are custom made and quite pricy. Im considering it, but also exploring my options.

Hows your cutoff in the stock assembly? Do you use the cup reflector thing, or did you push it out of the way?
Thanks for the input!
Old 05-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Yeah I use the "cup reflector" thingy. My housings are exactly the same as stock but with clear turn signal reflectors instead of amber. Light cutoff/beam pattern is exactly the same as any other halogen lamp. HID's, as you know, in a non-HID housing tend to aim more like flood lights which is what pisses off other motorists. That can still usually be fixed or at least minimized by aiming the housings downward a little.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Yeah I use the "cup reflector" thingy. My housings are exactly the same as stock but with clear turn signal reflectors instead of amber. Light cutoff/beam pattern is exactly the same as any other halogen lamp. HID's, as you know, in a non-HID housing tend to aim more like flood lights which is what pisses off other motorists. That can still usually be fixed or at least minimized by aiming the housings downward a little.
Awesome! If I don't end up going the custom projector way, I think I will be going the same route as you.

I recently got pulled over for using my fogs in "non inclimate conditions." Which is a total BS law, (the cop said it himself!) and was probably just a crappy excuse to find other citeable offenses.. Still a good enough reason for me to get my headlight issue addressed. Still sucks though, cause my fogs light up the road perfectly.