General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

aftermarket suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 03:31 AM
iburyshoes

Default aftermarket suspension?

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a stock '99 GT from a friend of mine and would like to do a number of modifications. I currently have about 11k to play with. I'm looking into changing the gears, shifter, trans, rear end and adding a number of bolt ons under the hood... I want my stang to be an all around performer, and handling is of utmost importance. I've read a ton of posts, but most seem to focus only on engine modifications. Does anyone here have a track car? If so, does anyone use the Steeda 5 link rear suspension kit or the maximum motorsports K-member??? I'm also looking at the Bilstein shock and strut package, and the cobra brake conversion kit. Are these products worth it? The Steeda kit costs a fortune...

By the way, this is my first post here, but i've been visiting this forum for months. Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:38 AM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: aftermarket suspension?

you could find a cobra irs for the rear. sub frames and all the strut braces. everyone says good things aboot MM stuff.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:35 AM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

for suspension, maximum motorsports has some really nice kits. for brakes, look at baer brakes. here is a link to some baer stuff- http://www.streetortrack.com/baer-brakes.asp
Old 10-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Why not just take the 11k and the '99 GT and get an '03 supercharged Cobra? You'd be WAY ahead of the game if you started with any Cobra instead of just a GT. You are going to end up spending twice as much as the '99 GT is worth on the market and never have a prayer of recouping your expenses.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a stock '99 GT from a friend of mine and would like to do a number of modifications. I currently have about 11k to play with. I'm looking into changing the gears, shifter, trans, rear end and adding a number of bolt ons under the hood... I want my stang to be an all around performer, and handling is of utmost importance. I've read a ton of posts, but most seem to focus only on engine modifications. Does anyone here have a track car? If so, does anyone use the Steeda 5 link rear suspension kit or the maximum motorsports K-member??? I'm also looking at the Bilstein shock and strut package, and the cobra brake conversion kit. Are these products worth it? The Steeda kit costs a fortune...
Let me ask you something. Why do you want a new tranny and rear end?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:35 PM
iburyshoes

i dont want to purchase a cobra because i got a sweet deal on the GT and i am planning on eventually swapping out the stock block with a built SHM cobra 5.0 short block or something similar. This would also call for a new trans, and i figured that the stock rear end isn't going to last long when i get around to doing the engine swap. eventually i'm hoping to add a turbo or two.... in a few years.... after i rob a bank... or sell a kidney or something...