General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

'12 radio question

Old 05-27-2016, 05:40 AM
V-6 PETE

Default '12 radio question

I am the new owner of a '12 V-6 coupe. Picking it up today. The stereo, I believe is the basic stock unit with CD player. There is a "phone" button. I pressed it, assuming it was just a radio mute button, but it did not mute the radio when I pressed it.

What is this button? Does this have some sort of bluetooth capability that I am not seeing? There are no phone buttons on the wheel. Was bluetooth available on 'stangs in '12? How much of a pain would it be to add it? As is typical today, the dash does not appear to be very aftermarket friendly.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:58 AM
Tom Boismier
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride! Try this.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../12musog3e.pdf

Lots of options for aftermarket head units. Look at Crutchfield for ideas, then shop for price.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:09 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I think you need to have the "sync" feature to have hands free phone...(bluetooth.) If you don't have the sync or shaker tag you probably need to go to an aftermarket radio.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by V-6 PETE
I am the new owner of a '12 V-6 coupe. Picking it up today. The stereo, I believe is the basic stock unit with CD player. There is a "phone" button. I pressed it, assuming it was just a radio mute button, but it did not mute the radio when I pressed it.

What is this button? Does this have some sort of bluetooth capability that I am not seeing? There are no phone buttons on the wheel. Was bluetooth available on 'stangs in '12? How much of a pain would it be to add it? As is typical today, the dash does not appear to be very aftermarket friendly.
Hey V-6 PETE,

Chromeshadow is correct in stating that you need the SYNC system to use the Phone feature. You can send the VIN in a PM and I can look at your system info.

Cara