General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Ecoboost or V6???

Old 05-28-2016, 03:13 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Ecoboost or V6???

Ecoboost or V6???

Yes, yes, it's been discussed before, but opinions where all over the place.... so after all the discussion on Ecoboost versus V6 what is the consensus of those who "really" understand the technology on which is better "in stock form" for a transportation car.

I ask because I'm getting ready to order a new Ford Edge for my wife & there was a concern of the Ecoboost having valve & intake problems that require expensive cleaning down the road. The Ecoboost will give the best mileage, but mileage is not a major concern since we are retired, while the V6 seems to be a more tried & true engine design than the Ecoboost technology. In the Ford Edge the V6 cost about $625. more than the standard Ecoboost which might pay for any cleaning of valves, etc. down the road.

So for a simple transportation car..... Ecoboost I-4, or V-6?
Note Ecoboost H.P. is based on 93 octane.

Info. on the engines below:

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-28-2016 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:05 AM
JimC

We have the 2.0 ecoboost in my wife's Lincoln MKZ and really like it. Her last one had the 3.5 V6. No problems at all with her ecoboost, and it has plenty of power.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Phillip123
1st Gear Member

Plenty of power in the Ecoboost, plus the already familiar pros.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
We have the 2.0 ecoboost in my wife's Lincoln MKZ and really like it. Her last one had the 3.5 V6. No problems at all with her ecoboost, and it has plenty of power.
Jim, how many miles on the Ecoboost? I know about the technology. I had an F150 V-6 Ecoboost & it was amazing towing a trailer without of the weight of a diesel engine. I'm thinking the $625 I save is there if the valves, etc. need cleaning down the road as some say. I wonder if the "oil separators" some put on Mustangs would help avoid that? Maybe it's not a problem.

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-28-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 PM
JimC

We have about 27,000 on the ecoboost.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:26 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

We have about 27,000 on the ecoboost.
Thanx! I'm buying a Ford Edge tomorrow & making the final decision whether to go with the Ecoboost, or the V-6. I think I'll go with the Ecoboost. Since we are getting on the older side I want to keep all controls alike on the Mustang & the Edge along with all the safety controls like BLIS etc. It may keep us driving longer. It's nice to have everything basically the same in both of our cars. Going from one auto maker to another had us twisting a lever on one to turn on the lights, but starting the windshield wipers on the other. Simplify, Simply!

Do you have all wheel drive on your Lincoln? If so, what do you think about it?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:10 AM
JimC

No, just FWD. I don't think that the MKZ comes with AWD in the ecoboost, only the V6.

The MKS comes with AWD and 3.5L ecoboost
Old 05-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

No, just FWD. I don't think that the MKZ comes with AWD in the ecoboost, only the V6.

The MKS comes with AWD and 3.5L ecoboost
Ooh! Now I get it! I thought you had the crossover MKX which is the upscale Lincoln version of the Ford Edge. The Edge comes with the 2.0L Ecoboost or the V-6 & only with AWD rather than 4WD. It takes a lot of research to make the best buy for your money!

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-29-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:36 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

as for the intake build-up concerns, I don't think it's nearly as big an issue on Ford engines as it was on older VW/Audi models. All DI engines (diesels too) will get some degree of deposits, thanks to the lack of fuel being sprayed directly into the intake port. But the borescope pics I've seen from a couple of Ford engines has been mostly some "fuzzy" gunk on the valve neck. This would be primarily due to the oil used to lubricate the valve guides. The VW/Audi engines which had horrendously gunked up intake ports had insufficient separators/"catch cans" in the PCV system. so all of that oil mist being sucked into the intake was just caked all over the ports.

in short, I think it's something which exists but isn't likely to be anything you'll need to worry about.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:27 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Thanx for the opinion!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost or V6???