General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

check charging system , help,lol

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 06:40 AM
woosaleen

Default check charging system , help,lol

So I just recently bought this 06 mustang saleen extreme... the first day I was driving I noticed the Check Charging System appear on dash, I have taken in 2 times to dealership since and they say everything checks out... well I happen to be passying an auto store when the CCS came on and they were able to read a code for me... it was P0622 generator f terminal fault... would this be a faulty altenator?... I ask the dealership and they said it could still numerous things and need to leave with them for a few days... so I figured I would try changing an altenator, well I went to oriellys auto parts and quickly installed a new one... well when hooking the ground to battery back up It arched bad as if the alternator is internally grounded or something, so I took that one back and tried another one with the same results... wth?lol i inspected all wires which are good... i put the old one back on and works but still get the code on a cold start. meaning the CCS only comes on when its at a cold start or if its sits for more than 4 hours.... battery test at 12.7v and 14.1- 14.5v when car is on... should i still try another alternator or just leave it to the stealership?... btw they said its 3.5 hours labor to install an alternator (takes 30 min lol)
Any suggestion withis would be greatly appreciated... thanks
Old 06-27-2016, 07:05 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

My first advice would be to disconnect the battery whenever working on anything
electrical on your car. That arc may have just cost you alot more money.

Your battery checks good, along with the alternator, but I'm not familiar enough with the newer stangs to give accurate advice. If you don't get an answer here soon, try starting a new thread in the Tech section for your year car. There's usually alot more people in there.

Good luck
Old 06-27-2016, 09:08 AM
woosaleen

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Welcome to the forum.

My first advice would be to disconnect the battery whenever working on anything
electrical on your car. That arc may have just cost you alot more money.

Your battery checks good, along with the alternator, but I'm not familiar enough with the newer stangs to give accurate advice. If you don't get an answer here soon, try starting a new thread in the Tech section for your year car. There's usually alot more people in there.

Good luck
Yes we did remove the negative battery terminal when install the alternator s ..it's when finished and putting terminal back. Only touching post it make big arch. Like its grounded.we inspected all wires .. all look good and works completely fine with old one in there.. just getting ccs on cold start ups. my friend is an ex mechanic . But he said he hasn't seen this b4. I know this year car has had issue from other forums I read about the ccs and it being bad alternator... thanks for reply.